Added k/metabisulphite & k/sorbate and back sweetened. 1 mth and wine is still “crispy/sparkly” what do I do to stop secondary ferment (we like sweet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tori

Junior
Reaction score
Added everything needed k-sor/meta blah blah. and then back sweetened. Racked roughly 2 weeks later, cold crashed for 5 days. Wine still has “crispy/sparkly” taste. How do I get this secondary fermentation to stop? We want sweet wine so I don’t want to let this go but we already tried everything we normally do. Help?

Added everything needed k-sor/meta blah blah. and then back sweetened. Racked roughly 2 weeks later, cold crashed for 5 days. Wine still has “crispy/sparkly” taste. How do I get this secondary fermentation to stop? We want sweet wine so I don’t want to let this go but we already tried everything we normally do. Help?
Tori, I'm trying to understand your process but I might be a little confused so my response may not have much merit.

Since you're referring to secondary I assume it is a kit. If the wine didn't finish secondary and go dry the sorbate will not do much. Sorbate only prevents fermentation from restarting, it doesn't stop it. Also as Craig mentioned it could still be degassing. I might also recommend cold crashing prior to racking since the process allows tartrates to drop out. If you fermented dry and properly degasses the wine I'm not quite sure what the problem may be.

Latest posts

Back