Steam Juicer Recipes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More like a philosophy, for a 5 gal of must put 40-50 pounds of berries thru it to get pure steamed juice, add some pectinase, sugar or honey and nutrients and oak and yeast when it cools. A typical yield is about a gallon of juice for every 10 pounds of berries. You can steam to long and start to extract stuff from the seeds, aim for quality vs quantity, when it reasonably slows down to a mere drip you are done, load up another batch.

TIps on your steamer:

Put marbles in the bottom water chamber, if you dont hear them knocking around a little you are about to run out of water which is bad.

Pour the first run of juice back onto the fruit to get the process going faster and more effecient.

Steaming can supposedly release more pectin so dont forget to add a bit extra.

We have dont blackberry, black raspberry, elderberries very well thru the steamer. You can use the spent fruit in a seconds wine, but I dont recommnent adding them back to your steamed juice, if you do that then what was the point of going thru all the trouble of steaming it in the first place.

Even the top lid gets hot hot hot, always use a potholder taking the lid off and watch out for the steam escaping from under the lid.

I dump the pulp into a china hat strainer in a bucket and let it drain as I am doing the next batch, you can get some more just that way, just dont press it to try to get more.

It makes a nice melomel, steam 4 gallons of juice, before it cools all the way add a gallon of honey and mix it in.

Enjoy your present.

WVMJ

Last edited:
Agree with everything Dan and WVMJ said. But never thought about pouring my 1st run back through to get the process going better. Cool.

Latest posts

Back