CORONATION Table GRAPES.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonsOfPlums

Junior
Reaction score
I have access to CORONATION Table GRAPES But only know that they are similar to Concord. Anybody used them and/or has a recip, I might give them a try. The wife has a steam juicer that renders fruit down to a husk and seems to make very good juice, so, I may also incorporate it into the process. Anyone shed light on wine from a steamed juice and results?

So I’ve attached a photo of the juice extractor and think I may try it on a batch of coronation grapes.

Attachments

• IMG_0092.jpeg
    IMG_0092.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 0
I have very little experience with grapes but many have said table grapes are inferior to wine grapes. Fact? Opinion? I don't know.

I've used various juicing processes for my jelly and they all work. Haven't used a steam juicer for wine yet. You got the grapes, you got the juicer, I say go for it! Live and learn! Let us know how it turns out.

Table grapes are grown for quantity, while wine grapes are grown from quality. There can be a marked difference. But you have the grapes so I can't see a reason for not trying it.

While I haven't worked with steamed juice, in the end it's juice. Check the SG, and if it's below 1.085, add sugar to bump it up to at least 1.085. Since you've applied heat, I'd add pectic enzyme to remove any problems with pectin haze.

It's worth testing pH. You can get inexpensive test strips that will let you know the range the pH is in.

Beyond that, add yeast nutrient, a wine yeast, and let 'er rock!

Thanks guys. Think I might give it a shot if the grapes are still available. What do you use to raise or lower ph and what should a good ph number be? I have 23 liter carboys, so about 6 US gallons.

The easiest way to start a fist fight among winemakers is to state the ideal target pH range for a red or white wine. 🤣

The "ideal" range for red and white wines varies by winemaker, e.g., ask 10 winemakers, you'll get at least 11 opinions. Let's call it, overall, 3.2 to 3.6.

However, yeast typically thrive when the pH in the 2.9 to 3.9 range. Above that other, unwanted microorganisms can thrive as well, and below that is too acidic for most yeast strains.

If the pH is at the top or above the range, I will add tartaric acid to grapes, possibly other acids to other fruits (depends on the primary acid in the fruit). If the pH at at the bottom or below the range, potassium carbonate and calcium bicarbonate may be used, but I use them VERY sparingly, as they can impart an off flavor. Another option for an acidic must is to add a high pH liquid. Folks have used potato (water leftover from boiling potatoes) as it has a high pH.

My CA grapes this fall all started in the 3.70 to 3.80 range -- post fermentation all were below 3.50, which reinforces my "don't mess with things too quickly" mantra.

Last edited:
Heat does release pectin in grapes so be careful with the steam juicer. I tried an experiment this year with wine grape juice for grape jelly. I did not heat the grapes but crushed as for wine and pressed the juice. I didn't realize how much pectin is in the skins. The jelly did not set up well even with added pectin (Sure Jell). In other words you may get a pectin haze in the wine from the heat.

I have access to CORONATION Table GRAPES But only know that they are similar to Concord. Anybody used them and/or has a recip, I might give them a try. The wife has a steam juicer that renders fruit down to a husk and seems to make very good juice, so, I may also incorporate it into the process. Anyone shed light on wine from a steamed juice and results?
I grow Coronation. I have one vine. Grapes are much better than Concord. They are seedless and you can freeze them. I like them thawed in yoghurt or on granola. You can even use them to make a crumble with or without apples. If you want make juice out of them, freeze them, then thaw them and throw them into a blender. I don't heat fruit except to that is from frozen in a microwave oven.

So I guess I might add a pectin enzyme at the start and perhaps some amylase for potential starch. Starting to get above my pay grade here. Maybe the beginning of a jelly wine syru.

Latest posts

Back