Started Muscadine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CajunTim

Reaction score
I decided to start my 1 gallon batch of Muscadine this weekend. Last night I made the hot sugar water. Used the roller pin to mash all the fruit. Tied it up in a bag and put it in the primary. Added the sugar water. Added a crushed Campden tablet and Yeast Nutrient. Let it set over night and this morning added the Pectic Enzyme. This afternoon I will check the SG and Acid.
Question…. I am thinking the acid might be on the high side. Do I use the Calcium Carbonate at this time? How much? Do I just stir it in and then sprinkle the yeast in? Two pictures of the start.

20071001_050700_md1.JPG
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
20071001_051020_md2.JPG

Tim, I could type all of this out for you but I figured why not copy and paste.
smiley36.gif
I will say I have yet to make a Muscadine so I am sure some of the experts here will chime in with their tried and true methods.

Acid Reduction with Calcium Carbonate: For liquors with acid levels of 10 p.p.t. or more, calcium carbonate is traditionally used to reduce acid through precipitation. A measured 2.5 grams of calcium carbonate will reduce the acidity of one gallon of wine or liquor by one p.p.t. For best results, split the liquor into two equal portions and add the calcium carbonate to one while stirring vigorously. Carbon dioxide will be given off and cause foaming. Chill the treated liquor several days and then siphon it off the lees of calcium carbonate into the untreated portion. The addition of a teaspoon of yeast energizer may be required to reactivate fermentation after treatment.

Acid Reduction with Potassium Bicarbonate: For liquors with acid levels of 8 to 10 p.p.t., potassium bicarbonate treatment can be used to reduce acid through precipitation and neutralization. A measured 3.4 grams or 0.1 oz. of potassium bicarbonate will reduce the acidity of one gallon of wine or liquor by one p.p.t. The compound is stirred directly into the full batch, then chilled to facilitate precipitation of potassium bicarbonate lees. The addition of a teaspoon of yeast energizer may be required to reactivate fermentation after treatment.

Acid Reduction through Water Dilution: This is the least desirable method, only because the Mustang Grape flavor is diluted and the resulting wine will suffer. The acid is inversely proportional to the volume of liquor, so the steps in reducing acidity from 10 p.p.t., for example, to 7 p.p.t., are: (1) 7 / 10 = 0.70 (2) 100 / 0.70 = 1.428 (3) 1.428 x 128 (oz. per gallon) = 182.784 total oz. required (4) 182.784 (total required) - 128 (oz. per gallon) = 54.784 (oz. per gallon required to be added).
Source: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques15.asp
Edited by: smurfe

Smurfe, thanks for the reply. You know I had read that article before I posted this thread. But it was kind of confusing to me. It sounds like I would have to treat the must and then put it in the refrigerator for a few days. So that would be before I pitch the yeast? And if so, would the must stay good that long?

Me
smiley29.gif
trying to make heads or tails.

I am sure Waldo, Jobe05 or one of our other Muscadine experts can and willprovide some more detail info.

Tim, everyone I know that makes Muscadine around here reduces acid by water dilution. And from what I have tasted around here, it isn't the best way to go.
smiley36.gif
Edited by: smurfe

Smurfe. That is what I was thinking. Water would most likley make it very thin. From what I was reading today, it seems that you reduce the acid after the fermentation done. So I might just pitch the yeast tonight and see what happens. I am thinking most folk don’t have to reduce acid very often. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
&lt;On a side note that you might appreciate. Making a big black pot of jambalaya.&gt;
smiley1.gif

CajunTim said:
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
&lt;On a side note that you might appreciate. Making a big black pot of jambalaya.&gt;
smiley1.gif

Red Beans and Rice here today
smiley32.gif
We made a jambalaya last week.Edited by: smurfe

Day 4 and I did an acid test and come out with .75. I think I am going to leave it as is and not bring it down any. I will be keeping this a little sweet.

Cajun, you did exactly as I do. I go ahead and ferment mine and then adjust if necessary by using method 1 in the post by smurfe. I draw off about 1/2 the wine, adding enough calcium carbonate for 1 gallon to it ( make sure you have plenty of head space cause it does foam like crazy) stir it up good and put it in the fridge for about 3 days then siphon it off the sediment and add back to rest of wine.

Thanks Waldo, <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
You said that in a way even a Cajun can understand.
smiley36.gif
Some web sites get so involved in longggggg drown out wording that it tends to make my head spin. Not that as you get more and more advanced that you need all the proper wording. I just not at that level just yet.

OK, so last night I took out the bag of used up pulp. The SG was at 1.030 so I transferred it to glass.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
20071006_200441_a.JPG

Now it should bubble with the airlock for 3 to 4 weeks.

20071006_200601_b.JPG

Did you squeeze all the goodies out of the bag of pulp before discarding it cajun? From the looks of the wine I would say you did.
Looking good !!

Waldo, I squeezed it lightly twice each day and quite heavily right before putting it to glass. I was very surprised when I tasted it the last time. This was the first non kit wine that at this stage did not have a high alcohol taste and still had moderate sweetness to it. Looks like it will come out to be around 11 to 12% ABV

That 11-12% will be just right cajun. You don't want your fruit wines too high in alcohol. It masks the flavors of the fruit if you do.

Thanks guys,
Wade, that is a glass milk jar. I am not sure where I got it from but I do need to find more of this type with the wide tops. I can siphon out of this one very easily. The wine bottle I can’t get the bottom part of the racking cane through the neck of the bottle so I wind up picking up some of the lees also.

OK, it’s been about 2 ½ weeks and the bubbling has slowed very much. I decided to rack the muscadine off the lees today. Will let it set a few more weeks and rack again. No pictures this time, just your basic racking glass to glass thing. But it is clearing very well. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>Edited by: CajunTim

Waldo,
I did taste it. It was a bit yeasty, but so was my apple at this stage. The good thing was it did not have that very high make your eyes water alcohol taste. All in all at this time it was good with no harshness to it. The color is very rich ruby red.
Just thinking about my apple. It’s been almost a year in the bottle. Wow how time fly’s, seems like I just made it not long ago. Will have to do a taste test as soon as I get over this lingering cold. Will be interesting to see what my first wine will taste like. Kind of exciting and kind of scary at the same time.
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back