Stalled yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldnut

Reaction score
I am making a winexpert kit and the fermentation has not started. It has been 72 hrs now. The only deviation that I made was to add more sugar.I have done this in the past without a problem. Maybe I got lucky before. The SG was at 1.080 to start and it is still there. How should I go about kickstarting this batch? Thanks in advance. Ken

Do you have a local brew store where you can buy more yeast?

If so, buy a packet (EC-1118?). Do a yeast starter, and then add it to your juice.

When you say a starter do you mean kinda like when you "Proof" a yeast?

I actually have some Lalvin rc 212 in the fridge. Will that work?

Red? It should work.

Rehydrate the yeast per instructions - 2 ounces of warm TAP water (95-105 degrees) for 15 to no more than 30 minutes.

In the meantime, warm 2 cups of your Juice to 85 degrees. Add 1/4 teaspoon of yeast nutrient or energizer. Mix well. Don't worry about Yeast Nutrient/Energizer if you don't have any.

Sometime during the 15-30 minute period, pour the rehydrated yeast into your mixture. Mix well.

At this point, you will want the mixture to sit for 4 hours. You want a larger container because it will foam. I use a 1 quart canning jar (lid loosely on top). A 1/2 gallon wine bottle would work well too. If you remember, give it a swirl every 30 minutes.

Ideally, you want the yeast temp to be within 15 degrees Fahrenheit when you pour the yeast into the Juice. If the temps are a little far apart, add 1 cup of Juice to the yeast slurry. Mix and allow to sit for 30 minutes. Then pour that into the Juice.

Last edited:
It is a raspberry dragonfruit wine. I will follow your directions if you think it will work on my wine. Thank you. Will do this tomorrow or Sunday. Will let you know how it works. Ken

It is a raspberry dragonfruit wine

That is a Shiraz base, which is red, so RC-212 should be fine with that.

Will do this tomorrow or Sunday.

Do it ASAP. Your juice is out of the bag, and needs to ferment before other unwanted organisms have time to grow.

Last edited:
I followed your direction the the letter. Once in the mason jar it did nothing! I then went to my local wine shop and got some 1118 brought it home and mixes it in 1/4 cup 105* water with a pinch of sugar. It proofed nicely so I mixed it in the juice. This morning there is nothing going on again! I am at a loss. I have good SG and yeast, it is at 75*F, It should be fermenting. Am I missing something?

When you mixed up the kit, you didn't add the Potassium Metabisulfite and/or the Potassium Sorbate, did you?

If it's sitting on a cool floor like concrete or tile, put it on a table or do something to get it warmer. The only other thing I can think of is that they put k meta in it for you and it was too much or hasn't sufficiently dissipated yet. I don't know any thing about kits.

If it's sitting on a cool floor like concrete or tile, put it on a table or do something to get it warmer. The only other thing I can think of is that they put k meta in it for you and it was too much or hasn't sufficiently dissipated yet. I don't know any thing about kits.

It started on the floor but was at 75*F. It was moved to the counter top beside the stove when I pitched yeast the second time. Temp is still at 75*F.

Is there anything else that I might try? Like to save this before it spoils?

Did you hydrate the yeast the first time around that came with the kit?

Take a packet of yeast and sprinkle it directly onto the juice. Do not hydrate it first.

I followed your direction the the letter. Once in the mason jar it did nothing! I then went to my local wine shop and got some 1118 brought it home and mixes it in 1/4 cup 105* water with a pinch of sugar. It proofed nicely so I mixed it in the juice. This morning there is nothing going on again! I am at a loss. I have good SG and yeast, it is at 75*F, It should be fermenting. Am I missing something?

When did you mix it in with the juice? Was that the cup of juice, or into the entire batch?

If you rehydrated the yeast, waited 15-30 minutes, and then put it into your 6 gallons, then you may need to wait 24-48 hours from when you put it into your 6 gallons to see activity.

Latest posts

Back