Can I add yeast late to delay moving to secondary phase?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cmillz12590

Junior
Reaction score
Hi and thanks in advance for any help! I'm brand new to wine making and it's only my second batch. Last year's batch was essentially prison wine. So I'm trying to refine the process more this year.

I just started a 3 gallon batch yesterday. Yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, and Camden tablets went in yesterday. Yeast should go in tonight. That would put moving to secondary (is that even the right term?) on Saturday. Unfortunately I just realized I need to be out of town this weekend though. So I'm wondering if it would ruin the batch to wait until tomorrow night (48 hrs after start) to add the yeast so that I can move it to the carboys Sunday night instead of Saturday, assuming it's at 1.03 SG by then. Thoughts?

Yeast knows no schedule.

You should be fine adding the yeast now. Your primary container should be a bucket. Cover loosely and stir two times a day (or more). Typically , when it reaches 1.001 or so you can transfer to a carboy and airlock it (secondary container).

Even if fermentation is done by Saturday morning the wine will still be protected by CO2 for a few days. Just stop stirring and keep the lid on… snapped if possible.

Welcome. What kind of wine are you making?

Ok so you're saying that you don't think an extra day in the bucket will hurt it?

My first batch this year, started last week, got to 1.02 in the 5 days in the bucket and my recipe called for 1.03. So I was worried I over-fermented it. Last year, my wine was so so strong with the taste of alcohol that I thought I must have over fermented that time too.

I'm making a red wine from "wild grapes"- ie a grape vine that I started at my house 3 seasons ago but have no idea what kind of grape. Last year, it never got very red, seemed more like a blush. The color is very murky pink right now in the first batch from this week, so I'm suspecting it will be light again this year.

My first batch this year, started last week, got to 1.02 in the 5 days in the bucket and my recipe called for 1.03. So I was worried I over-fermented it. Last year, my wine was so so strong with the taste of alcohol that I thought I must have over fermented that time too.
You can't "over ferment" a wine -- yeast eats until it runs out of sugar OR produces enough alcohol to poison itself.

If you're getting a wine that is too strong, it means you're starting with too much sugar.

Do you have a hydrometer? If not, it's the one essential tool, as it enables you to measure initial sugar, the progress of fermentation, and figuring when it's complete. With a hydrometer to measure the specific gravity (SG), you can add the correct amount of sugar to hit your target ABV.

A lot of older recipes are a record of what worked, not what's best. You need to consider each recipe and judge if it's what you need. I suggest that in the future you post recipes and ask for feedback. You'll get excellent help in adjusting recipes to hit your personal targets.

There are a lot of variables here. Besides the starting gravity (SG), If your grapes are not ripe enough they may be very acidic.

Newly fermented wine typically tastes overly acidic. Combined with high alcohol it can be very “hot”. Age and oak can help smooth it out.

Don’t let this discourage you. As @winemaker81 said, next time post your “recipe “ and process here first and we can set you on a better path.

You have quite a bit of control on how long a wine is in a primary fermentation. as an example I was making an apple last week and wanted th slow it down. It wound up as a six gallon bucket in an ice chest with half gallon milk jugs of frozen juice placed next to it twice a day and a winter coat over it to keep the cold contained. I have slowed a juice down to 10C / 50F and had the primary for six weeks.
Color on most grapes is something which is extracted from the skin. If this is a red skin grape you should be able to make it into a red juice wine. (Have you looked at More Wine directions on red grapes on the web?). Also there are a variety of extraction protocols with names like “Carbonic Maceration”. The search function in the menus above has lots of info.

Welcome to WMT

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back