Splenda and other artificial sweeteners

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB

Reaction score
Has anyone ever back sweetened using artificial sweeteners like splenda? I'm diabetic and shouldn't be drinking a lot of sugar in my wine. Was thinking of trying this. Any thoughts, cautions?

I've used honey, and know that some diabetics can have honey. Is that an option for you?

Yes. But it still increases your blood sugar level. Not as fast and the same as table sugar, but it does just the same. It's better for you and I honestly had forgotten about that option. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've seen people ask about back sweetening with something like Splenda or Stevia, but I've never heard of anyone actually doing. You could be the first!

Yes. But it still increases your blood sugar level. Not as fast and the same as table sugar, but it does just the same. It's better for you and I honestly had forgotten about that option. Thanks for the suggestion.

No prob.:i Alot of ppl in the family are diabetics and I work in healthcare, so I keep that little tid-bit handy. So I guess that would work best if you didn't want a very sweet wine. I don't know what the Stevia would do to your blood sugar, but its natural and I have to think that it would be better than sweet-n-low or equiv.

some how those two words just seem wrong when on a wine forum....

When you can't have sugar, you do what you gotta. But I'd try to use something else. Those have a funny taste to me, I guess if you're used to it it wouldn't make the wine taste 'off'.

I've tried adding splenda.. and I think it tastes horrible.

Allie

I would do some experimentation if I were you, measure out a glass of your wine and sweeten it with one of your favorite sweeteners, increasing it little by little until you think it's right. Then you can see how it tastes, and if you like it you can figure out how much you'd need per gallon based on how much you put in the wine.

You could try the same process with multiple sweeteners to find the one that works best for you.

I would do some experimentation if I were you, measure out a glass of your wine and sweeten it with one of your favorite sweeteners, increasing it little by little until you think it's right. Then you can see how it tastes, and if you like it you can figure out how much you'd need per gallon based on how much you put in the wine.

You could try the same process with multiple sweeteners to find the one that works best for you.

Great Idea! Then you won't end up with a batch you don't like.:r

OK, don't anybody shoot me but... I equate sweet wine with steak that's well done. I can drink it and I can eat it but why. bk

This looks like an excellent idea! I like the word multiple when talking about glasses of wine. I think I'll start right now! :db

Okay... After multiple glasses using various sweeteners, I have determined that for the taste, sugar is the best choice. It's funny, but sugar even seems to bring out the fruit of the specific wine. Splenda wasn't all that bad, if you like battery acid, but the winner hands down was good ol sugar.

_________

Don't try this at home, I'm an amateur wine maker! :db

Thanks for reporting back, I was curious about this myself.

Splenda is wierd...I like it with my tea, but I tried it with coffee a couple times and it is just wrong. Not sure why the difference. I drink a lot of diet pop too so you'd think I'd be used to artificial sweeteners.

i tried sweetening with stevia but the wine hasn't aged yet . But it would be very expensive to sweetening alot of wine that way . Since I first posted asking about how people sweeten thier wine I have found out I was diabetic myself . So less wine drinking for me now anyways . So things like SP I will seeten as I drink . As far as other wines i usaully drink off dry or dry wines , depends on when & what I'm having it with .For dry with a meal but if I'm sitting around all evening drinking wine I usually like an off dry even a medium sometimes .

Thanks for reporting back, I was curious about this myself.

Splenda is wierd...I like it with my tea, but I tried it with coffee a couple times and it is just wrong. Not sure why the difference. I drink a lot of diet pop too so you'd think I'd be used to artificial sweeteners.

Please don't drink too much diet pop , those artificial sweeteners really aren't good for you in large amounts . Sorry it's the mother in me talking now .

Back