WineXpert Sparkling Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your bottles will not explode...but your plastic stoppers might pop if you don't get the wire on tight enough.

If your wires are a tiny bit loose, you will notice that the plastic stopper will 'creep' up to the extent of the wires...that really gives you a creepy feeling...you know something is growing inside.

We have had two bottle blow their tops...one when the yeast was growing and one the night we dégorged...both times was operator failure to get the wires tight, plus we were using wires that had been used several times....we have that little tool now, so it looks like a machine put the wires on...the get really tight and can only be used a couple times.

Once again...I suggest to get a clear sparkling wine bottle,[some cheap Rosé] then you can watch the progress of the yeast growing and then settling to the neck of the bottle once you start putting the bottles up-side-down to 'riddle'...you can see it become clear.

Have fun...you are going to love this.

Hahahaha Maybe... but you won't know why!
smiley2.gif

NW, I already love it!!! Thanks so much for talking us (ME) thru this!!! You're the best!
smiley31.gif

Wade....just so you know...today's the day I'm bottling! I'll keep you posted!

Good luck Joan! I have to add my clarifier to mine. I fell behind due
to my computer problem and I fell sick so Im a couple days behind not
includind the extra time fermenting.

Edited by: wade

Ok.. I will show my ignorance here but here goes. I have a bottle of Andre Strawberry I bought so I could use the clear bottle it's in. Problem: How the heck do you get the stinkin' thing open?? I removed the new-fangled thing that holds the cap on and twisted the plastic cap as the directions say but the only thing that's happening is that the cap is turning in the bottle! My hand hurts! Help!

Joan, please describe how easy or hard it is to put the Champagne corks in!

Wade...they slip right in...put them in some sulfite, rinse in water, then keep them in warm water...it softens them up.

We dégorged the last 6 bottles last night from the last batch [those kind of hung around for awhile]...it was -17*F outside and we put the crate out on the deck...they were more than ready in 30 minutes...Ice about 3" up the neck...

I watched my Honey use his little tool to twist the wires tight...boy it is slick!!!!I think you could put a big nail through the wire loop and start twisting it too...that might get it tight enough to keep the wire from letting the plastic stopper creep up.

When you dégorge and want to top off your bottles you want to pour the topping-off wine down the side of the bottle neck...I use a little plastic funnel [clean, sanitized and rinsed] with a piece of siphon hose about 5" long on it...the wine goes down and doesn't foam up too much...*Do this in the sink, it does foam up...Once the foam subsides and the bottle is full enough, put another clean, sanitized and rinsed plastic stopper in the bottle and use another wire...Put away for awhile to rejuvenate the bubbles...open for special occasions....like Saturday, Sunday...

Good luck to you both....your going to enjoy it..

LOL Funny you should ask, Wade! They go in easily if they're wet. Of course I didn't realize that until about 5 corks from finishing!

I'm will post a photo.

I degassed for along time and added clarifier. It seems that I didnt degas enough as it is all floating at the top!
smiley24.gif
i hope it eventually goes back down or ill have to flip the carboy over!
smiley3.gif

Ah, Sanitized and rinsed all bottles, made a starter yeast and bottled
29 bottles. This is definetely not the best tasting wine. I will never
buy this again. Next time I'll do what Joan did and get a Riesling or
Chard. Added the 2 1/2 cups of corn sugar. Does anyone know which is
better at this point? Ive read both leave standing up and laying down
on its side.

20070210_181408_DSCN0202_Medium.JPG

20070210_181508_DSCN0203_Medium.JPG

Looks like a good job Wade, and it's a good thing that you finally inlisted some good help!

I think what I have read on other post, is that you cushion (with a layer or 2 of cardbord or a folded towel) the bottom of your box or container and put them in upside down, every week or so (forgot how often) you just pick each bottle up an inch or two and let it drop to force the sediment to the bottom(which is the top), or maybe thats done at the end....... I don't know..................

I leave them standing up for 2 months...shake them once a week...[actually I do it more often if I think of it]...then after 2 months turn them up-side-down and twist and drop them for 2 weeks...

Glad you got them bottled...don't worry about the flavor...the bubbles will baffle your taste buds....

Start another batch of something to **Sparkle** right away...you'll be glad you did.Edited by: Northern Winos

I cant, its just to cold in my basement. Its so cold that I had 2
brewing belts on this batch to get it finished fermenting. I think I'll
make another batch of my pear wine to sparkle once it warms up down
here. I think that was my favorite scratch wine to date! Jobe that is
after awhile of either standing up or laying on its side to ferment
first. I guess you could do it upside down but I still have to make my
riddling board.

Edited by: wade

Yes, there will be lees in the bottom and you will see all kinds of stuff swirling around in the bottle...mine started producing in 24 hours or so! I wasn't paying close attention unfortunately! Thanks for the reminder, Wade...I need to go rile all mine! =)

Latest posts

Back