Finer Wine Kit Wine age

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
I have the following recent bottled wines and my brother was interested in trying some. Would any of these be worth opening yet? Just wondering what others have experienced with theirs before cracking open any. I figured it would need at least a year and we are having a gathering this weekend. Is it to early for these?

Forta Sonoma that I started 9/21/2022 and bottled 7/26/2023
Forta Meritage that I started 9/21/2022 and bottled 7/26/2023
Forta Cabernet Sauvignon that I started 10/19/2022 and bottled 7/26/2023

Ditto to the previous advice. A month after bottling is the soonest I'd recommend opening a bottle -- bottle shock occurs and 2 to 4 weeks should get you past it, but some wines take longer and you may be unpleasantly surprised by one. If that happens, don't get overly upset.

What you might do is put the wines in rotation: Open a Sonoma now (record your impressions). A month from now open a Meritage, and a month after that a CS. Then repeat. Put all notes aside and do not look at them.

A year from now, read the note for each wine in order, oldest first. Then read the notes for all wines, oldest first. This last part is a new idea. It may present interesting highlights.

Note -- one advantage of the rotation is that you'll be less tempted to go through the wines quickly. It's amazing how fast 2 to 2.5 cases of wine can disappear.

Back