Sorghum

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, it's a long story, but I have recently come in possession of 4 quarts of sorghum syrup.

I understand that this is a "southern thing" and being a yankee myself, I have no idea what to use it for. To be perfectly honest, I have not even tasted it yet.

So, out to the kind southern members of this forum I go..

What would you do with 4 quarts of sorghum syrup???

A gluten free beer or perhaps an indigenous North African beer - T'ella made with sorghum , teff, honey (and gesho in place of European/US hops)

I would go sorghum beer (gluten free). But you will definitely need other flavours mixed in because of the metallic 'twang' it has. Try for citrus zest, and something a bit sweet and earthy. Stay away from really grassy hops too :)

Make pancakes. Top with butter, syrup. Eat.

Make waffles. Top with butter, syrup. Eat.

Make biscuits. Top with butter, syrup. Eat.

Get vanilla ice cream. Top with syrup. Eat.

Make toast. Top with butter, syrup. Eat.

Make oatmeal. Top with syrup. Eat.

Make grits. "Ruin" grits by topping with syrup. Eat.

Get the idea?

Too simple? How about...
http://www.cooks.com/recipe/bx8v58dl/yummy-sorghum-cookies.html

Or maybe candy?
http://www.thejoykitchen.com/recipe/sorghum-sponge-candy

You can get the nieces, nephews and grandkids involved in that!

Last edited:
I think I would put it on top the corm and chopped alfalfa in the silage pit. Them feed it to the Springers come freshening.

I think I would put it on top the corm and chopped alfalfa in the silage pit. Them feed it to the Springers come freshening.

Then you are missing one of the great pleasures in life. Whatever a Yankee uses maple syrup on, good sorghum syrup will be delightful on.

Let me be very clear: JohnT, if you don't want them, I do!

Then you are missing one of the great pleasures in life. Whatever a Yankee uses maple syrup on, good sorghum syrup will be delightful on.

Let me be very clear: JohnT, if you don't want them, I do!

Guess you would have to be a dairy farmer to get that one! We grow tons upon tons of sorghum annually! It's high sugar content make it the top choice to ferment silage.

well, from what i understand, it IS mostly sugar, and i do have yeast.

Think I would throw some kind of fruit in with it. Maybe cherry (go figure) I have a little bit of cherry, some elderberry and not much else in the freezer. Pick a fruit you like, throw it all together and go for it, just stay away from the Welches. LOL, Arne.

Guess you would have to be a dairy farmer to get that one! We grow tons upon tons of sorghum annually! It's high sugar content make it the top choice to ferment silage.

Please, let's not make assumptions! LOL. I am a beef farmer. My father in law spent his entire life as a full-time (no side job) dairy farmer. He had the first pit silo in the state of Connecticut. But, as he put it, he "threw away my plow" in 1959. Whereupon, he bought the first hay conditioner ever in the state of Connecticut and went all-grass silage. He knew how to make a profit by controlling costs. Quite a guy. I am honored to have known him and learned from him. He "retired" down South to beef cattle in 1968.

Sorghum is a damn fine syrup on pancakes. If JohnT doesn't like it, I got first dibs!

I'll take them off your hands and send up some Welches concentrate?

Seriously, I can make you 4 quarts of barley syrup and use yours for my son who has Celiac. I'm thinking a type of malted milkshake without the malt!

JS,

Even I know that you do not put syrup on grits. I prefer butter and cheese mix in.. YUM!

The sorghum was purchased by my brother-in-law, a born and bred Georgia boy and a really nice guy. He asked that I convert into something for him like, as he put it, a sorghum wine. After a lot of begging and eye rolling, he made me promise to try. Other than 2 batches of skeeter pee, this is the first thing I made that was not either grape or grain.

To he honest, A little voice was telling me to not divulge this to the forum. I have, after all, the reputation of the resident "wine snob" to think about.. :)

Still, I owe it to the BIL to try and make the best stuff possible. Like I said earlier, sorghum is alien to this poor yankee.

In short.. Hands off the sorghum, it really does not belong to me. :gb:)

Seems like the gluten free beer is the most suggested, but has anybody come up with other "killer" recipies? posting a link or the actual recipe would be most helpful!!!!

Latest posts

Back