Sorbate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
I've been trying to sort out relationship and define what each chemical is"
Campden Tablets= Potassium Metabisulfite(K-Meta) in tablet form which stops yeast from multiplying, you use it in the beginning to stop any wild yeast from multiplying - you use it after fermentation to stop any added yeast from multiplying = it stops any yeast from multiplying.

Now, here is where I am confused, "Sorbate", is that just another way of saying Potassium Metabisulfite, K-Meta, Campden Tablets?

If not, Please explain.

Semper Fi

You are a little confused;

Camden Tablets
Potassium Metabisulfite in tablet form. Typically one campden tablet is used per 1 gallon of must or wort to kill and inhibit the growth of unwanted bacteria. Ten campden tablets equal one level teaspoon of potassium metabisulfite.

Potassium Metabisulfite
Potassium metabisulfite, also referred to as K-Meta, (K2S2O5), is a white crystalline powder with a pungent sulfur odour. The main use for the chemical is as a yeast and bacteria killer. Typically added to juice to kill bad bacteria commonly found on grapes and other fruits. It dissapates quickly if exposed to air usually within 24 hours. It is a sulfite and is chemically very similar to sodium metabisulfite, with which it is sometimes used interchangeably. Potassium metabisulfite is generally preferred out of the two as it does not contribute sodium to the diet.

Potassium Sorbate
A wine stabilizer used with Potassium Metabisulfite or Campden Tablets. Sorbate works better with sulfites present than without, and it works better than sulfites alone. It interupts the reproduction cycle of yeasts thus making them unable to reproduce and their population slowly diminishes through attrition. Potassium sorbate is added in the amount of 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of wine. Also referred to as Sorbistat K.

Potassium Sorbate is very different to Potassium Metabisulphite/Campden tablets.

The Campden tablets are used to get SO2 into the brew to kill bacteria, prevent oxidation, and stuns yeast - I don't think it stops fermentation dead.

Sorbate on the other hand messes with yeasts ability to reproduce, effectively killing it, and putting a stop to future fermentation. Apparently, it should be used in conjunction with K-met/Campden tablets to prevent a geranium smell developing.

Hope wiser heads can give me marks out of 10 - I must be close after reading all their posts.

LOL oooops somoene posted whilst I was typing - keen bgrs round this forum!!

wow, I would interject my two cents but why, I think Tom and TStar have it covered

Campden tablets can also be Sodium Metabisulfite. Its not usually seen here in the states or at least I havent seen it but they do exist maybe mainly around Canada. Please do no use these to try and stop a fermentation in progress or you could easily ruin your wine by stressing out the yeast and causing off flavors in the wine. This combination is used only when the wine has finished fermenting (stable).

Last time I was at Midwest I bought a 1# bag of sodium metabisulphate by accident and am using the same as I would kmeta. I am only about 300 miles from Canada so it is available here.

Sodium meta is easy to get, its the sodium meta Campden tablets that are hard to get unless you are talking about a 1lb bag of tablets. I have both also as by accident i too biught a bag of Nameta instead of Kmeta due to a store shelf not being organized but I use that for sanitizing and use the kmeta for my wine. The Nameta is a little bit stronger.

Camden Tablets
Potassium Metabisulfite in tablet form. Typically one campden tablet is used per 1 gallon of must or wort to kill and inhibit the growth of unwanted bacteria.
Does K-meta kill bacteria? It doesn't kill yeast. It does stun yeast, and slow down or temporarily stop it. Particularly useful for stunning wild/unknown yeasts 24 hours before pitching a wine yeast.

Steve

Latest posts

Back