Fermentation began before adding Yeast to Lenoir.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Powell

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the group. I'm fermenting 4 gallons of Lenoir but after adding Camden tablets and French Oak Chips at night, I woke up to the must beginning fermentation before I added the yeast. My understanding was that the Camden Tablets would stop any wild yeast from starting fermentation. What could have caused this? Once I saw the bubbles in the airlock I immediately added my own yeast by the way and it's fermenting with no off odors so far. Thanks for any advice!

Sulfite will stop most yeast and bacteria from growing. Keep in mind that commercial yeast is cultivated "wild" yeast, and some of it is sulfite tolerant. You apparently got one of those.

You are fine -- you added your yeast, and regardless of which is dominant, you should have a good result.

BTW, welcome to WMT!

Sulfite will stop most yeast and bacteria from growing. Keep in mind that commercial yeast is cultivated "wild" yeast, and some of it is sulfite tolerant. You apparently got one of those.

You are fine -- you added your yeast, and regardless of which is dominant, you should have a good result.

BTW, welcome to WMT!
Thanks for the response and welcome!

Welcome to WMT
Cultured yeast are selected to be clean fermenting and reliable/ strong, ,, so we’all use them. Yes one could let it run by itself the way grandpa would a hundred years ago but for one starting it improves the quality.

Latest posts

Back