SMELL THE ROSES

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NW,
That is a beautiful picture of your sweet roses. It is still very hot here. Can't wait for the day when I can open the windows.

Ramona

Near 50*F today...That folks is a nice day up here on de-tundra in November...kind of a brisk wind tho.

I decided to finish washing the last of the windows...this involved moving the sofa and hanging out the windows...[A nasty job...but someone has to do it]
smiley11.gif

Much to my surprise when I looked out the window I was greeted with this pleasant sight...

lastrosesof2007Small.jpg

The last rose of summer, high on top of the pegola...My reward for finishing a hateful job....
smiley4.gif

Life is Good!!!!

So Ramona, do you get like 2 days of winter down there and the rest is summer? Some of the ground here today stayed frozen with a light dusting of snow on it- in the shade. I rough pruned some St. Pepin vines today to get some cuttings for next spring. You can bury them upside down in the ground for storage. I bundled them, got out the shovel and ooooffffff, the ground was rough getting through the first inch(frozen). I put 300 cuttings in a pit today- bit of a start for next spring.

WOW...Grapeman...that's an awful lot of cuttings.

Jim finished plowing on Wednesday...he had an inch of frost at the start of that day...now it's going to be 55* tomorrow...warm weather headed your way.

Last day of deer season tomorrow...hope he's not so fussy and gets one more...but we will survive with the meat we have.

How's your hunt going???

NW it's been such a warm autumn in general that the bucks are just starting to come into my area good. Seeing more scrapes every day. I had been watching next to the vineyard, but mostly just see does and small bucks. This AM I decided to take a walk down the trail network we have through the woods on the farm. Buck scrapes everywhere, but very noisy with fosty leaves under foot. I wan't paying close enough attention still hunting along and suddenly there was an 8 point running broadside to me. I shot at it twice, the second shot hitting a small tree right in front of it. I found it's tracks and checked for sign I had hit it or not. Couldn't find a drop of blood at all. I followed it for several hundred yards with no blood, dragging feet or any other sign of it being wounded so I guess I just plain missed it. I'm getting slower than I used to be. I even had the 12 guage shotgun, which I rarely miss with when they are running. My brother was walking in a different spot and watched a 6 point for half an hour while it generally marked it's territory. I went down there this afternoon, but only saw one doe. We still have a month to go with our season.

You all up north really have alot to do to get ready for winter. I think it was in the 80's today, right now (dark) 74.

The most I will have to do is possibly bring in my plants for about a month.

I'll be going to Oklahoma for Thanksgiving and to Richmond, Va. the first week of Dec. so I'm hoping to experience some winter...at least some fireplace weather.

Ramona

Come up here in January and you'll experience winter weather....

I have a houseful coming for Thanksgiving...the dis functional neighbors have invited their extended families...then after that we get ready for Christmas and we just wait for the lakes to freeze over....Jan and Feb we fish...so winter can go pretty fast.

I would love to be seeing your beauty berries and butterflies at this time of the year....I would like winter to be shorter...but do enjoy the change of seasons.

Latest posts

Back