Sharing my first wine experience. (pics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calvus

Reaction score
We picked a lot of blackberries one year and I just thought one day about making wine. It was quite the experience and I made a few errors here and there. Nothing bad enough to ruin the wine. Turned out to be a medium bodied dry wine with a good note of blackberry and caramel. I got hooked after that and started fermenting everything I could think of. Here is the recipe I used with everything that followed:
DSC00001.jpg

Blackberry wine
23lbs blackberries
10lbs organic sugar
3gal water
5 campden tablets
5tsp acid blend
3tsp pectic enzyme
5tsp yeast nutrient
2 packs champagne yeast
DSCN1027.jpg

7-09-11
Mixed all ingredients except yeast in primary fermenter
Starting SG 1.100
DSCN1038.jpg

7-10-11
Added 2 packs of champagne yeast 6pm

7-13-11
72 hours after adding yeast, SG 1.056
DSCN1041.jpg

7-16-11
Sixth day, racked into 5gal carboy in morning. SG ~1.022
DSCN1058.jpg
DSCN1063.jpg

8-05-11
Re-racked after 3 weeks. SG ~0.992
Stabilized with 2tsp of potassium sorbate and 5 tabs of Campden. Topped with extracted juice from 3lbs blackberries and grape juice.
DSCN1208.jpg

9-02-11
Added ~3oz of dark toasted American oak chips to carboy

9-09-11
Racked off oak, sediment, lees into 5 gal carboy to continue bulk aging

3-13-12
Added ¼ tsp kmeta. Bottled 25 750ml bottles.
IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

And the rest of the bunch aging/clearing in the closet.
DSCN1335.jpg

Currently fermenting a rhubarb-pineapple and a blackberry/concord chocolate.

Last edited:
Wow, lots of sediment, but the finished wine looks great. Did the lees compact some or did you loose a lot of that black gold?

Blackberry is my favorite. Have 6 gallons bulk aging, probabily ready to bottle.

Looking good. Now you have the fermenting fever

Looks good man, i was hoping you'd post your process at some point !

I had the same kind of sediment with my batch, but our berries pretty much come from the same "patch".

Was the oak used to add the caramel notes you mentioned?

Thanks all.

Grapeman, yes lots of sediment probably because I didnt use a straining bag and my racking technique was pretty amateur. Bag from now on and I have gotten a lot of racking practice now. Lees did not compact from that picture at all and I had to top up with quite a bit of fpac/juice and diluted down to little over 12%ABV when I calculated.

Deezil, Yes on the oak. It really gives it that nice dark, smokey, caramel note which I really like a lot. I only let it oak with 3oz of chips for a week though. Wanted to be conservative since I wouldnt be able to undo too much. I think anything longer may have been too much but I dunno. Didnt want to lose too much of the blackberry either.

Latest posts

Back