Sediment in bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bottled my first batch from a wine kit this past weeekend and I just checked the bottles and there's a small amount of sediment in the bottles. Should I open the bottles and put the wine back in the carboy to settle further, hopefully eliminating the sediment? Is there anything I can do later to get rid of the sediment?

You can but you will lose all your corks and have to replace them. You could just leave them and pour carefully. If you do transfer them back to carboy then you might want to add more S02 to prevent any oxidation from pouring all those bottles back in and exposing them to lots of 02. This is why we bulk age in carboy to make sure there is no more sediment dropping.
Welcome Paul and sorry your 1st experience didnt go your way, which kit is this by the way. Hope you stay awhile.
Edited by: wade

smiley4.gif
good morning all,another trick you can use, is you don,t want to open any to filter or if you are going to drink it early as a lot of us do,us a standard coffee filter it will filter two bottles of wine without a problem as quickly as you filter and return to the bottle, cork,,,,to go ..............................this is a quick way in case you pick up a bottle to go out with and don,t want your friends to see the silt,or use a gravity fed filter system or a Bruno jet filter system,wade is also correct just let it set,but if you can,t......................try these methods,was this a white?

The wine was a mosti cab sov. It appeared clear with a flashlight before bottling but I racked it into the bucket and a small amount of the sediment off the bottom made it into the bucket. Enough to cause a problem. I think I should have let it sit and racked again before bottling. Oh welll, I'm learning.

This is true. we typically at least rack it off lees, into a clean carboy, then rack off that again before bottling. The best thing to do with a red wine is bulk age it 3 months min after fermentation and add 1/4 tsp. k-meta again before bottling. This method will usually result in no sediment.

how long did it sit between 2ndary fermentation to each racking (if any) and then bottling?

what was your method of extracting the wine and getting it into the bottles?

Latest posts

Back