Saving Grape Skins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSmith3011

Reaction score
I am getting some of the 2007 Napa River Ranch Cab next week. I was thinking about saving some of the grape skins after the press for future use. Does anyone have recommendations on how best to save grape skins? I was thinking they could zip up some of the cheap kits I like to buy.

Yes, freezing will do just fine and I know of at least a few people who do exactly just this.

Should i use any Sulfite on them? Or just get them in a bag, suck out the air and freeze. I know a nice trick to remove air from all the fish I catch out here.:ot:

Should i use any Sulfite on them? Or just get them in a bag, suck out the air and freeze. I know a nice trick to remove air from all the fish I catch out here.:ot:

I would think no sulfite.I think the vaccum packing/then freezing would be best!:r

By the time I press my reds, I would not want to keep any of what is left. I ferment on the skins and by the time it is ready to press, there isn't much left and I certainly wouldn't want to keep it. Now if you were doing whites, then that might work. You could also freeze some of the must of the reds before fermenting after letting the liquid drain out from a collander or something, but not after pressing.

Dan leads Closetwine and JohnT off to seperate corners until they kiss and make up. When you learn your lesson you can each have a glass of Kool-Aid.
Tip...Nikki can tell you which corner has a stash hid in it.:h

LOL, he gets so riled up over it, I can't help but poke fun!:tz

LOL! I'd make a Yankee joke, but I'll refrain cause I'm outnumbered. Jersey boys ain't no worse than a liquored up roughneck. And I married one of those.

Dan leads Closetwine and JohnT off to seperate corners until they kiss and make up. When you learn your lesson you can each have a glass of Kool-Aid.
Tip...Nikki can tell you which corner has a stash hid in it.:h

OK, But whatever you do, don't give any coolaid to closetwine. She will try to make wine out of it. Just the right thing for road-kill stew.

Last edited:
OK, But whatever you do, don't give any coolaid to closetwine. She will try to make wine out of it. Just the right thing for road-kill stew.

Hey, I do have some sugar wine we put kool-aid in and make slushies... LOL! It's good. I know ppl that do eat road kill but I don't. I'll stick with my deer chili! or squirrel and dumplins', or maybe some fried wild turkey or fish, that's as far as I go. I ate bear once but it was greasy, ick! :) That'd be funny if it wasn't true.

Latest posts

Back