Can I buy grape juice and grape skins separately? (Links included)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t think it matters if the skins are from another varietal. Skins contain tannins, not so much the fruit flavors.

If the kit has the skins just use them. The kit maker has tested his kit numerous times to get it proportioned correctly. You can also add skin packs to cheaper kits. You might search WMT for thoughts on how much to use, but I suspect it will be either 1 or 2 packs.

I don’t think it matters if the skins are from another varietal. Skins contain tannins, not so much the fruit flavors.

If the kit has the skins just use them. The kit maker has tested his kit numerous times to get it proportioned correctly. You can also add skin packs to cheaper kits. You might search WMT for thoughts on how much to use, but I suspect it will be either 1 or 2 packs.
thank you

Does it matter if the grape juice is sangiovese and skins are probably something else?
Also, should I just buy wine kit that comes with grape skins rather than buying each item separately?
IIRC, the skinpacks sold by LP are Cabernet Sauvignon. I doubt that most packs sold match the varietal of the kit, so I wouldn't worry about it.

IIRC, the skinpacks sold by LP are Cabernet Sauvignon. I doubt that most packs sold match the varietal of the kit, so I wouldn't worry about it.
thanks
and yea I wanted to buy the LP one but they don't ship to Canada. The one I posted was the only fairly priced Canadian one I could find

Last fall, I purchased Italian Chianti juice (6gal) Primarily Sangiovese and a California Cabernet juice bucket (6gal), and I added 1 pack of grape skins to each (CS- from @winemaker81 above) from Label Peelers. I also added a grape seed pack each from LP. I will unequivocally say that the skins (no matter what they are add tannin, color, depth, and body.

When compared to my juice kits without skins, I can tell a difference.

I am duplicating this ‘recipe’ for the Chilean juice I just ordered (Carmenere and a Pinot Noir). It does add expense and some added patience for longer aging, but it works for me. Two years ago, it was very difficult to find grape skins. It still is, but at least, maybe a bit easier? Sounds like the Welches grape juice company or whomever would/could sell some Concord skins to make a few bucks. I would think that could work for them and home winemakers (thoughts from the gallery)? It would at least be a good experiment.

Sounds like the Welches grape juice company or whomever would/could sell some Concord skins to make a few bucks.
I'd be leery of adding Concord skins to a Vinifera wine. Vinifera red are easy, as pretty much anything can be blended, but Concord is a different branch of the family.

I'd be leery of adding Concord skins to a Vinifera wine. Vinifera red are easy, as pretty much anything can be blended, but Concord is a different branch of the family.
That would be a great reason. So much for that thought. Also found this..Concord grapes are “not suitable to produce wine, it’s harder to extract tannins and flavors from the grape skin.”

That would be a great reason. So much for that thought. Also found this..Concord grapes are “not suitable to produce wine, it’s harder to extract tannins and flavors from the grape skin.”
I've had some very good Concords, both barrel aged and not. If the reviewer was expecting it to taste like Cabernet Sauvignon, well, the disappointment is understandable.

I do not believe I have ever tried Concord wine but assume it must be sweet....but I could be wrong, again.

I need to add that to my list.
A wine is only as sweet as the winemaker makes it. While a lot of Concord are backsweetened, dry barrel aged can be good.

Latest posts

Back