sanitizing solution

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billmik

Junior
Reaction score
what is the correct amount of campden tables to 2 liters of water for a good no rinse sanitizing soulution?
how about tsp of Sodium Metabisulphite to 2 liters also?

The standard sanitizing solution made with potassium Meta bi-sulfate is 3 table spoons per 1 gallon of water.

3 tablespoons of sulphite in one gallon of water. So 2 liters would require approximately 1 1/2 tablespoons.

LOUMIK

3 tablespoons of sulphite in one gallon of water. So 2 liters would require approximately 1 1/2 tablespoons.

LOUMIK

Correct. There is a difference in the amount to use of sodium M. verses potassium M. I don't offhand know what it is, though.

Dan you mentioned before that you leave kmeta in your carboys until you are ready to use them. How much water and how much kmeta per gallon? And could one not use campden tablets?

Ive been using 8 Camden Tablets (which say are Sodium M) per 2 liters Is this strong enough. I also have Sodium M in powered form and was wondering how much per 2 liters?

Steve I still use three tbs. The solution is strong.
Sammy I leave at least an inch in each carboy. Some carboys might have 5 inches in it only because i'm storing it.
Campden tablets...I mentioned them many times I hate them and with they would take them off the market. The powder form is cheaper, stronger and doesn't contain fillers to bind it all together that end up as floaters. This is my opinion and I'll probably get some controversy but that ok. I don't buy the fact that tablets are easier to use either. If you need i simple measurement for one gallon, put 1/4 tsp in 5 ounces of warm water and stir. Now dump one ounce of this solution in your gallon jug!

image-4263287588.jpg

My package says only 2tsp per gallon of water do we really need to use 3 tablespoons? Or are you guys talking about something totally diff like a liquid form?

View attachment 7888

My package says only 2tsp per gallon of water do we really need to use 3 tablespoons? Or are you guys talking about something totally diff like a liquid form?

I don't know if there is a liquid form of k-meta, so I'm pretty sure everone here is talking about powder. The standard I have read about on this and other forums has always been 3 tablespoons per gallon. I have a package from winemasters that instructs to use 2 tbls and one from LDCarlson that suggests 2 oz. per gal. I guess you can take your pick. Maybe everone decided that if 2 is good 3 is better!!
The 2 tsp per gal on your package does sound a little weak though.

LOUMIK:a1

I did some past post checking and this is what I have found - 3 of them

Sanitizing Equipment With Sodium Bisulfite

Sodium Bisulfite is also useful in stronger doses with water for
sanitizing your equipment. The recommended dose is 1 teaspoon of
Sodium Bisulfite per gallon of water.

It is also recommended that either Citric, Tartaric or Acid Blend
be added to the solution at the rate of 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.
This is not necessary, but if used these acids will increase the
potency of the Sodium Bisulfite solution by causing the sulfur
gases to release more rapidly. --from E.C. Krass,

http://www.eckraus.com/wine-making-sodium-bisulfite/

Potassium Metabisulfite Powder
You can also buy Potassium Metabisulfite in powder form, usually sold to home winemakers in 4 ounce bottles or 1 pound bags. This chemical works well as a sanitizing agent because it is a bacterial inhibitor. Since there's no inert materials in this form (unlike campden tablets, which have some fillers added), you don't need to add a lot of crystals to make a great sanitizing solution.
METHOD: Dissolve 1 teaspoon of crystals in one gallon of water to make a solution comprised of 940 PPM SO2

taken from = http://www.grapestompers.com/sanitation.asp

From Jack Keller himself
He actually uses 1 tablespoon in one Gallon of water . That makes 3043 ppm of SO2 . I am uncertain as to the minimum but I don't think anything occasionally found in the kitchen or winery could survive 2000 ppm. There may be bacteria that live in those vents on the bottom of the ocean that could survive, but how would they get to the winery?
Taken from -
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f5/kmeta-activation-17056/index2.html

So there you have it - there are soo many websites and people who have there own ideas on sanitizing solutions - good luck

To tell you the truth I have been using 2 tbsp per gallon for years and have never had an issue so I am thinking the package is correct. If all else fails read the directions. hahaha

Thanks for posting that Steve!

I know when I open the glass jug I mix it in I still get a strong wiff of the fumes so I figured it must be working ok...But I wanted to be sure because I don't need to catch any heeby jeebies while drinking my wine. :d Lol

Thanks for posting that Steve!

I know when I open the glass jug I mix it in I still get a strong wiff of the fumes so I figured it must be working ok...But I wanted to be sure because I don't need to catch any heeby jeebies while drinking my wine. :d Lol

It's your wine!

I bought a plactic container of 1 step cleaner a while back. Then my local suppplier started carrying B-brite.
Now it is some kinds of Potassium Metabisulfite powder, but I just buy it by the bag and put it in the plastic conainter with a lid. The only containter of 1 step cleaner said 1 tbs per gallon, so that is what I have always done.

The only problem I have is after I dump the mixture out I get some little white klingons on the inside, but they tend to disappear with time.

I have also begun adding a campden tab or Potassium Metabisulfite to a squirt bottle. I forget the ratio, but I use this to rinse off the more used gear, like my mixing paddle!

Latest posts

Back