Reverse Osmosis System - Does it remove Chlorine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khubred

Junior
Reaction score
I've read that if you need to add water to your must to reduce the Brix, that you should use non-chlorinated water. Does anyone know if Reverse Osmosis "Removes" chlorine? Our systems documents reference that it gets rid of the unpleasant taste and odor, cloudiness and color, but not sure if it get rid of the 100%. We have a APEC RO 45 system.

Thanks,

Kevin

My understanding is that the RO filter itself does not remove the chlorine. However, most RO systems have more than the RO filter. If there is an activated charcoal filter in the mix, I believe it removes chlorine.

Steve

I don't know about all, but I have one Culligan that DOES remove chlorine. It has been tested, and whenever I test its pH, it's almost perfectly neutral. It usually clocks in at about 6.9 on the scale, and sometimes right on 7.0. (I know that pH itself isn't indicative of chlorine removal, but they ran a test for chlorine in front of me after installation to show me, and unless they are flat-out lying, it tested clean from chlorine).

We normally don't have chlorine in our water, but the times they put it in all I have had to do is let the water sit in an open container for a day. The chlorine seems to evaporate out and I have no problem making wine with it. The one time I used it fresh, was one time I got no ferment. Had to repitch the yeast. Other than that, no problems making wine with the chlorine in the water. Arne.

my r/o system with charcoal filter does remove the chlorine from our drinking water and that is what i have been using to add if water is necessary with no ill effects.

Reverse Osmosis DOES NOT REMOVE CHLORINE, but most RO systems have a charcoal (or activated carbon) filter that will remove chlorine. The molecule is too small for the RO membrane to filter. So, the simple answer is that RO does not remove chlorine, but the charcoal filter portion of most setups will remove chlorine.
BTW, you can always add a small amount of metabisulfite to neutralize chlorine in the water, BUT don't add too much as this will affect fermentation. Sulfite reacts with chlorine to form chloride and sulfate. The small amount of sulfate will not affect the wine. The charcoal filter reduces the chlorine to chloride, but does not add sulfate, so it is a better alternative.

Zombie thread revived. :D It is my understanding that chlorine actually damages the RO membrane so you need to change the charcoal filters regularly.

YES @1d10t, chlorine, peroxide, Sta-Clean (R), persulfates, and most other oxidizers will erode the organic RO membrane. The chlorine in most city water sources is not high enough (usually less than 1 ppm, but as high as 4 ppm) to destroy RO membranes, but why tax the efficiency of the RO (expensive) when you can protect it with a relatively inexpensive charcoal filter.

Back