red grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA-BOY

Reaction score
Wal-mart has red grapes for $1.98 a pound, does any one have a simple receipe to start my first batch. I will be making 4 gallons on this batch. I know this is a vague question, but just some simple answers will help a lot. Also, I like a sweet wet wine. thanks La-Boy

I will give you my opinion first , but others are free to chime in with their opinions and experiences.

Grapes you buy in the Superstores are generally table grapes meant for eating. Many of them lack in flavor and other qualities needed for making a good wine with. The acids are too low, the pH too high and the sugars are generally not high enough. They seem sweet because the acid is too low. They also lack in enough tannins to make a good wine, especially the red ones. I would save my money on them. You would need about 60 pounds of grapes for a four gallon batch and that would cost more than a good kit. If you want to delve into making wine from grapes, try to get some in season from a vineyard or buy a bucket of juice from George or other supplier.

I was going to post basically the same thing but left it for appleman as he is our resident grape man despite his name. You would be better off buying frozen concentrate that is 100% juice with no benzoate or sorbate in the ingredients. If you do go this route do not add any k-meta (campden) as these almost always this and adding more will hinder fermentation. A kit will render a great wine which typically will compare very close or even better then commercial wines depending on whichkit you buy and if you let it age enough to full potential.

I'd have to agree with Appleman.

I had a friend that was employed at the fruit section of a major food chain. When the grapes got old, he would sell them to me for $.25 a pound. So I had to try 20 pounds, (needed 18) for1 gallon......... It didn't even make it to a clearing stage before I put it down the drain, Flat, Hot and bitter..... no better way to explain it.

Frozen grape juice makes a more acceptable wine.........

Those big red table grapes are sure tasty tho....Enjoy them out of hand.

The bottled and frozen juices are fun to play with...some of the wines will impress your friends.

Latest posts

Back