Record methods

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaguy

Reaction score
I am interested in record keeping methods. Would like to hear what some of you do to keep up with what you are doing. Notebooks? Software? I'm thinking a small notebook for each wine I've started but would like to hear what others do.
I cannot rely on memory....

I hang tags on all of my carboys I get at Staples to record each step i do and a date. Just recently I started using a spread sheet from More Wines. There is a very good software program out there that others are using. The tags are good for while you make the wine but when it's finished i toss them out. This leaves no notes on the wines for the future, shame on me. This is why I've gone to a simple spread sheet in addition to the tags

After a little searching I found that this topic is nicely covered.

I am using BrewTrax. It works very well and has lots of great features built in. I think it was worth the money.
I looked at the spreadsheet idea and that will also work but this will give you nice reports, has recipes in it, etc. Plus they are a sponsor here.

Great question. First I make notes ahead of time from folks on this forum suggestions and looking back at notes of previous batches. I use tags on carboys while wine is making and keep a printed record as I go. I very often refer back to the printed record to plan new batches. I'll try to attach the files later today.

Last edited:
Notebook, notebook, notebook. Can't say it enough, write down what you did and when, any observations that are different or unusual, taste test, temps, SG's. I end up with usually 2 pages in my notebook of observations, test results, additions, top up wine info for each kit.

Of course nobody but me can decipher it all, but then thats by design! :)

I also use notebooks. I have a small spiral notebook ( Doug's Wine Book!) about 4"x6" that I started years ago - it has one page devoted to each wine and includes a basic summary of info. This is easy to check back chronologically for any wine and also allows me to add tasting notes as time passes. Then I have a spiral scribbler that I use for day to day notations, planning, etc. I also fill in info on the kit instructions ( I make mostly kits) and keep them for awhile. Finally I stick masking tape with notes on each bucket/carboy for critical info. Probably overkill, but it doesn't take much time and becomes part of your routine.

I have paper in a sheet protector hanging off the carboy. Making notes all along the way. When the wine is bottled I file it in a three ring binder for future reference. As everyone says take notes, notes and more notes that you will use in the future.

Here are pdf files of my wimemaking log and a sample of a plan I type up for each batch. For the plan I ask suggestions on the forums, search posts about the specific wine I am making and bring together a plan of attack for the process. I seldom (never) follow the plan exactly and modify the plan as I go and then print it out at the end along with the log. I have these records for all 15 kits I have done.

View attachment Wine Makers Log.pdf

View attachment Valpolicella Ripassa.pdf

Seaguy,
I use a three ring binder and section it off for each wine that I make. I have a tabbed separator, a clear sheet holder with the directions that came with the kit and several sheets of lined paper for notes in each section. On the carboy or the fermentor I use a strip of duct tape with only the name of the wine. I work mostly in my cellar so I can take the binder to my den (upstairs) and plan the work that I have to do with each wine. I had an old compter (desktop) that I replaced with a new one and have set it up in the basement, but I have not used it as yet. I like the portablilty of the binder.

I use google calendar and google docs for all of my record keeping. I create a new document for each wine with the recipe and initial stuff. I then create calendar entries as I go, sometimes I create the next one ahead of time to remind me. I add any modifications I make to these entries, and then grab it all at the end and add it back to the original google doc. Nice because it's out in the cloud and I can access it from pretty much anywhere.

If I get more serious in the future I would probably try out brewtrax, it looks pretty nice, but since I'm running a 3 batch at a time operation I don't have too many problems keeping up.

I use the Yahoo notebook that way if your computor crashes you don't loose any of your information

Thanks a lot, Tony. I stole a copy of your Wine Maker's Log pdf. I think it will come in very handy. I've been usuing a notebook for everything. I needed something to hang near my carboys. I think your log will do nicely. You saved me some work, here.

Thanks again!

Dave

I use a 3 ring binder in which i section each recipe and then the next page is a wine log very similar to tony's. I use masking tape & a Sharpe for my carboys and primaries and record dates & sg readings on them and any other important info. you can peal them off and transfer when you rack too.

Thanks a lot, Tony. I stole a copy of your Wine Maker's Log pdf.
Dave

I actually stole it from Tom last year and have changed it up a bit. If you want I can email it to you so you can edit it to suit yourself. It as a word file and won't upload for me.

I actually stole it from Tom last year and have changed it up a bit. If you want I can email it to you so you can edit it to suit yourself. It as a word file and won't upload for me.

I like the word "copy"

Back