Logging and Documenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been working on an Excel spreadsheet that I’m pretty happy with. Of course it’s not very handy for everyday use so I’m going with notes on plain ruled paper in a binder then I’ll transfer them to the spreadsheet.

WisVitners is the one in Milwaukee? If so, I have been reading about that club, but I was hoping to find something in the Madison area. Prairie Home sounds like the ticket!

I started using a spiral notebook and it just got to be a mess with changing items, misspelling, forgetting to input info, not being able to read my own chicken scratching, etc. I now just use "Notes" on my IPhone. I list the name and year of the wine as the title, the ingredients then start a day/time of each step I do with each wine. This might include such mundane things as "stirred and recovered" or "SG=?????", where I purchase fruit and how much, etc. I do this each day and time that I do something. I can add pictures too if I want. I always have my phone on me so it's no big deal to do. One nice thing too is that I can use the microphone and dictate the notes (and go back and edit if necessary) so hardly any typing necessary. Then I can send to my printer right from "Notes" and then put a paper copy in a 3 ring binder. I hate the thought of losing electronic data so I'm old school and want a paper copy. Plus those generations that follow may like to have a recipe or two after I'm done with complete instructions as to exactly what I did. Just my .02.

I agree wholehardedly! I also save to multiple flash drives and an external hard drive!
Be careful of trusting flash drives, as they are unstable. Multiple flash drives is better.

It's not common in today's world, but burning to CD or DVD is an excellent choice, as the media is cheap and lasts for decades. Also, if the disk is finalized, CDs and DVDs are ransomware proof. Beyond winemaking, it's a good idea to create disks with financial records and anything that needs to be protected.

Hi! I'm new and was just asking about this, but I use an online program called Notion. I have a template I built that is easy for me to quickly see what's what and where its at. Its super customizable and a lot easier on the eyes than a spreadsheet. The features I like best are:
  • It can has a date alert function that I love. So, you can set an alarm for a date when something needs racking or is ready for bottling, whatever.
  • You can create areas with pre-filled in sections so you don't have to constantly type in what yeast brand you used or status, etc
  • Its infinitely customizable it to include whatever info you find helpful/necessary like tasting notes or changes you'd like to make the next batch, you can change anything already in there and add new things too
  • It will apply that formatting changes to all your individual files- this is a pro and a con, but I just made a new drop down for Status with "Made" "In Process" and "Future" and it was great to not have to make that change 15+ times.
  • I added in a chart for tasting notes across time and that's been really helpful too!
  • You can customize the photos/add your own to make it pretty and make each batch visually distinct/easy to locate, which I confess, is something I appreciate
Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 2.36.36 PM.png

Here's a link to the basic template I built, you are free to use it if you like it and you can shout at me any time if you need assistance with it!
Wine Manager BLANK TEMPLATE

Be careful of trusting flash drives, as they are unstable. Multiple flash drives is better.

It's not common in today's world, but burning to CD or DVD is an excellent choice, as the media is cheap and lasts for decades. Also, if the disk is finalized, CDs and DVDs are ransomware proof. Beyond winemaking, it's a good idea to create disks with financial records and anything that needs to be protected.
I'll have to remember this as I have a large stack of blanks. Now I just need to pick up an external CD/DVD burner. Thanks again for the tip!

Try not to over think the process, with each wine you make of the same kind or different style each lot can be a little off center, that’s why I say don’t over think the basic process, let you hydrometer be your guide and first and foremost know the wine that’s your makings Profile.
Wine making is ment to be fun not a punishment,🍇🍇🍇🍇🍇🍇😎

Try not to over think the process, with each wine you make of the same kind or different style each lot can be a little off center, that’s why I say don’t over think the basic process, let you hydrometer be your guide and first and foremost know the wine that’s your makings Profile.
Wine making is ment to be fun not a punishment,🍇🍇🍇🍇🍇🍇😎
Amen Joe!

Latest posts

Back