WineXpert Ready to Make My 2nd Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aguedry

Junior
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I'll be ready to bottle my first kit (WE World Selection Pinot Grigio) next week. Since I'll have a carboy free, I thought I'd peruse through the online catalog and select a red wine this time. I'd kinda like to alternate between reds and whites each time, don't know why.

I have read alot in these forums and a few others and have come across some folks saying that the WE VR reds seem a little thin and such. Some have suggested using raisins to boost the mouth feel.

I was thinking of doing either a mezza luna or a merlot. Should i add raisins to this? If so, when, how, what kind, etc.

Thanks for all your help guys. I'll post a pic of my pinot grigio when i get it bottled.

There are a lot of kinds available which are very good. Since you have done a Pinot Blanc, you could try a Mosti All-Juice Pinot Noir. Mine is clearing and I can tell you it is really going to be a good one with plenty of body. I started 3 variations of Pinot Noir at the same time, The BlueBerry Pinot Noir as an Island Mist kit, The Orchard Breezin' Cherry Pinot Noir and the Most All Juice Pinot Noir- 6 gallons of pure Pinot Noir Juice. It is like night and day the difference in body. It comes with oak and all the other chems needed in a nice big pail. The only downside is the weight for shipping, but if you aren't too far away from George, it is a real bargain.

Angie, I would have to recommend a higher level kit for the reds. One very good Merlot is the Napa Valley Stag's Leap District Merlot. It is fantastic but a bit pricer than a VR kit. I have some of it here if you want to try before you buy. I also have some VR Cabernet Sauvignon you could try to see if a VR red kit might work for you.

While the higher level kits most definitely cost more, the end results are normally worth the extra price. I find the VR whites are good but the VR reds are a little lacking. Adding the raisins will help some but not that much IMHO. You can add some extra oak as well for extra mouth feel but if you aren't careful you can easily over oak.

I know a few that have done the Mezza Luna and said it was fine but I think this low end kit of a Merlot will be lacking. In my opinion, either do the Luna or spend a little more gor a higher end kit. The more juice the better the quality and I know money is an object, but save a little more and get a better kit.

Mezza Luna is my personal favorite. It is inexpensive, ready quick and ready to drink right away. It is bolder than some of the other reds I have tried at this price point. I have found of the lesser expensive reds to be thin but have always enjoyed the Mezza Luna. If you want to spend the extra money the Stag's Leap is superb as is the Lodi Cabernet. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back