RACKING GALLON JUGS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
<t></t><t></t><table style="table-layout: fixed;" align="center" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><t><tr></tr><tr><td valign="top" height="150">

<div style="overflow: auto;">
I Posted this in the FRUIT WINES/CHOKECHERRY Thread....but thought maybe more people would see it here and be able to use and modify this application.

No problem racking since my Honey made me a short racking cane and copied the idea of the 'orange cap' method of racking...

He drilled two holes in a #6 rubber bung...

closeupSmall.jpg

Then cut down a racking cane and inserted both pieces...

rigSmall.jpg

Blow
in the short piece of plastic racking cane and the pressure pushes the wine up the
racking cane and out the tubing into a receiving carboy...

I think someplace I saw they sell a bung with two holes...that was after we rigged one up....

I do have to hold down on the bung when blowing to insure a tight seal, otherwise....
No fuss...Works great.....
smiley4.gif

It's kind of crude and hope you can improve on this....

Post your ideas....Input welcome......

</td></tr></t></table>
Edited by: Northern Winos

I went the lazy guys way and just bought an auto siphon for one gallon jugs
smiley2.gif
You idea is nice though and many could utilize it with supplies on hand. Would be a good use for a broken racking cane.

<TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=2 ="maintable"><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD ="#ffff00"></TD>
<TD>4872</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD ="#ffff00">Description</TD>
<TD>

3/8 inch Mini Auto-Siphon for One Gallon Jugs

</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD ="#ffff00">Current Price</TD>
<TD>$8.99</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD ="#ffff00">Status</TD>
<TD>Stocked</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD ="#ffff00">Order</TD>
<TD>Order</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD ="#ffff00">Picture</TD>
<TD>
LAutoSiph_lg.jpg
</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>Edited by: smurfe

A trick I have yet to try, but others swear by it is to freeze the bung before you drill it. I leaves a smoother bore that cleans up easier. I also got an auto-siphon for gallon jugs like Smurfe.

I also have the smaller auto and use that for all my racking needs as I started with all those hoses and just have never switched over to the 1/2", they work fine for me, maybe a little slower but helps me practice patience!
smiley4.gif

appleman said:
A trick I have yet to try, but others swear by it is to freeze the bung before you drill it. I leaves a smoother bore that cleans up easier. I also got an auto-siphon for gallon jugs like Smurfe.

We put the rubber bung outside in 'Hell Below Zero' weather and it was still soft and pliable....it didn't make a bit of difference....at least on the soft rubber one we had....Maybe a harder rubber would firm up.

Okay I'm confused.
smiley5.gif
I have a racking cane with tubing attached. It's a "small" diameter that I thought was 1/4". Then I have an autosiphon with "larger" tubing that's not attached. I thought this tubing was 3/8". I can't remember if the autosiphon comes with tubing or if I need to order that separately. If so, what size fits the small autosiphon?

appleman said:
Now is that "Hell Below Zero" weather really cold or just 40 below cold? LOL

Can't recall how cold it really was...But we left it out there for a couple days hoping it would harden up a bit....I would think it would have been -20° to -30° range to try to take advantage of it.....

Should try to find a harder bung and make a nicer looking unit....but it works and I can rack the gallons on my own....so don't mind messing with the jugs [aka Car-babies]

I boughttwo new auto-siphons the other day. One for the gallon and one regular one. When I got home they were both smaller diameter then the old one. Both will fit in my gallon jugs. I could have got by with just buying the one. The hose that fit them was 3/8. The same as the old one. The hose doesn't come with them. You have to buy the hose also. Edited by: swillologist

Latest posts

Back