Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georges

Junior
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen, greetings and salutations.

I have a batch of CC Sterling Californian Chardy on the go which I started on the 3rd of may. it was racked to secondary at just over 1.000 nearly 3 weeks ago.

i checked the gravity again today and it is still about 1.000. MAYBE 0.998 with the eye of faith. it tastes great. bearing in mind this has been fermenting with a special low temperature yeast in a cold shed so i expect things to go slowly.

my questions is this: should i start clearing and stabilizing now? or give it a few more days to see if it comes down more?

On a side note- my RJS Grand Cru Select Oz Cab Sav has been in bulk ageing for 3 weeks now. I had a try. its better than it was at last racking- still quite acidic and VERY strong alcohol flavours. also doesn't taste well integrated- can kind of taste separate elements.... anyway, more patience i guess! any comments?

cheers

george

What is a "special low temperature yeast in a cold shed"? Do not stabilize until the wine is done fermenting. I would leave it sit for a couple more weeks and get an exact reading.

Whats the temp?
Bring it up to room temp for a few days and ck gravity again.

I agree with what was already said. Also, give the chardonnay a really good stir to get the yeast back into suspension.

That red sounds about right. It is going to be really tart and may not have a good aroma for months to come. I don't know much about that particular kit, but I doubt it will be drinkable for 6 months. The smaller kits (less than 12 liter kits that make 6 gallons) seem to be drinkable sooner than the premium kits.

Latest posts

Back