Pump + Timer = Bottle Filler?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have the usual Sureflow pump that I use for moving wine from container to container. I'd like to use this pump as an auto bottle filler. Based on the rated flow, the pump should pump enough volume to fill a bottle in six seconds. My plan is to meter that back to achieve my goal of 15 seconds.

Has anyone tried using a precision timer to turn the pump on/off to fill bottles in a fast and consistent manner? I have a 555 timer board with a relay ($6) on its way from ebay. My first try will be to simply turn the pump on and off for the necessary number of seconds to fill the bottle.

The goal is to put a tube in the carboy/flextank/barrel, center the bottle under the other end of the tube at a fill station, hit a button and having it fill the bottle and stop at a proper point, in under 15 seconds.

Any thoughts?

I personally think that is to powerful of a pump to do what you want.
I believe that one delivers 3-4 gallons per minute.

Good luck - keep us updated

I would be worried that your flow rate is not steady enough to achieve predictable filling. Plus, not sure if cycling the pump on and off that often is good for it.

Sounds like a fun idea, good luck!

I'm thinking like Seth. Measuring time instead of volume. Even an accurate measurement of time doesn't necessarily mean an accurate amount of volume.

My error. The pump delivers 3.3 gallon per minute or 3785 ml per minute. This puts the cycle time for a 750 ml bottle at 12 seconds.

I'm with you on measuring the volume of liquid, the weight if the liquid, the height of the liquid. I just have not found an easy and inexpensive way to do it. I already have the pump.

I have a back up plan if simply turning the pump on/off doesn't provide the needed consistency. But I'll start with simple first.

@Heather I have seen the bottle fillers with the auto-stops and I can't say that I've seen one that can do more than a few bottles in a row without having to tinker or add/remove a little wine in the bottle to get it to the right height.

Last edited:
If you had a scale that you could rig to the pumps on/off mechanism that would be a way to do it.. If you know the SG of the wine you could cycle the pump on and off based on the mass and thus volume of wine in the bottle... You might have to tune it up a bit though because I am sure once you kill the pump, the flow wont instantly cut off.

@Seth I looked for a programmable scale with a built it output, but couldn't find one. I also looked for a sensor that could see through green glass, no luck.

My goal is to spend <$20.

NorCal - Check your math -

3.3 gallons per minute =
approx 17 bottles of wine
60 seconds in a minute divided by 17 bottles = 3.529 seconds per bottle

I believe that is way to large of a pump to be doing the system you are trying to build-

Using my vacuum system I am just at 15 seconds per bottle

Last edited:
Yeah, Steve is right -- 3.6 seconds per bottle.

I also looked for a sensor that could see through green glass, no luck.

My goal is to spend <$20.

What kind of sensors did you consider so far? Seems like a photodiode would work, no? Perhaps just choose the correct light source?

NorCal - Check your math -

3.3 gallons per minute =
approx 17 bottles of wine
60 seconds in a minute divided by 17 bottles = 3.529 seconds per bottle

I believe that is way to large of a pump to be doing the system you are trying to build-

Using my vacuum system I am just at 15 seconds per bottle

Thanks, I agree with your math. Doing this on the iPhone, while working, wasn't working out too well.

My point is that the pump that I already have (and need for transfers) will be more than capable of pumping enough fluid to achieve my 15 seconds per bottle target. Increasing the rate would not be possible, but reducing the rate of flow from the pump into the bottle should be easy.

Yeah, Steve is right -- 3.6 seconds per bottle.

What kind of sensors did you consider so far? Seems like a photodiode would work, no? Perhaps just choose the correct light source?

I was looking at photodiodes and from my searches and discussion with an engineer that knows this stuff, the ones that only cost a few $ would have a problem with colored glass.

If you know of any, point me in the direction, as this was my first choice, eliminating the worry of consistent flow and bottle size.

I'm using Shurflo Demand Delivery Pump f2088-594-154 ,3.3GPM 110V, ebay $94. I built this little caddy to cart it around the garage and turn it on/off. I'll see if I can figure out the accuracy I need tonight: plus or minus how many ml. It will be interesting to see if the pump can consistently deliver the needed accuracy by simply turning it on/off.

07124BB2-A113-44C9-8498-723212DBCB71_1.jpg

Relative to pumps, plumbing is cheap. But, there is more than 1 way to skin a cat. I am not sure if the properties of the pump the poster is using abd whether or not it increases its load to meet demand of the flow or if the load stays constant abd thus its flowrate is highly dependent on the pressure drop thus making the flow change as the fluid volume in the carboy changes.

Last edited:
Relative to pumps, plumbing is cheap. But, there is more than 1 way to skin a cat. I am not sure if the properties of the pump the poster is using abd whether or not it increases its load to meet demand of the flow or if the load stays constant abd thus its flowrate is highly dependent on the pressure drop thus making the flow change as the fluid volume in the carboy changes.

This particular pump is an on demand pump - referring to once it reaches the pressure it will automatically turn off at around 45 psi - give or take 10 psi

I'm using Shurflo Demand Delivery Pump f2088-594-154 ,3.3GPM 110V, ebay $94. I built this little caddy to cart it around the garage and turn it on/off. I'll see if I can figure out the accuracy I need tonight: plus or minus how many ml. It will be interesting to see if the pump can consistently deliver the needed accuracy by simply turning it on/off.

07124BB2-A113-44C9-8498-723212DBCB71_1.jpg

not to burst your bubble - But I am going to have to say no on the Consistent levels in a bottle - due to the pump and all the factors that lead to this - I know you want a cheap bottle filler - but this is a trasfer pump that delivers over 3 gallons per minute.

Back