Pump + Timer = Bottle Filler?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just purchased one of these as well and have run into problems with it leaking out the top. Is there a trick to these?

OP, sorry to highjack your thread with the question above.

I like to tinker as well and have been watching this conversation because I find it very interesting. If you have 12 volt relay and power source, it might be as simple as couple of bare wires on your filling wand at the level you want the wine to shut off and use the wine to complete the circuit.

I have had that same problem and just live with it. I have a friend who used to own a lhbs tell me he always attached the champagne adapter thing and just puts that into an overflow bottle.

No better reason to do it than just to tinker. The idea with the wires as probes sounds like a good one. You just need to be consistent with the insertion depth. Especially if you use bottles with the punt at the bottom. Perhaps use a cap of sorts that prevents the wand from going to the bottom of the bottle. Something attached to the wand that sets the insertion depth. Connect the wires to that so the reference point is the top of the bottle not the bottom.

I'm pretty happy with the testing of my vacuum set up. One of the difficult part for me has been finding a way to use a #1 stopper, so I get a consistent seal on the bottle. Using a Home Depot 1/2 inch T fitting and bits and pieces I had, it looks like this will work fine. The line from the wine has a tube within the fitting. Fill time is around 16 seconds, 3 seconds is the latency associated with using a big overflow container. The big overflow also provides a vacuum reservoir and it continues to pull wne after the pump is shut off. Once I put the valve in, I think this will resolve that issue.

A3A185C9-CCFF-4386-B13B-7A533FB554A1.jpg

Norcal
I am glad that you tried and had very good results with it. I do sell the bottling attachment to make your job easier if you would like.
I know putting the valve inline will help as long as you have the correct one

Did you ever consider using a two hole stopper like this one ($9) ?

Or a filler head like this one (more expensive of course $69)?

They will both give you a consistent seal on the bottle.
I'm pretty happy with the testing of my vacuum set up. One of the difficult part for me has been finding a way to use a #1 stopper, so I get a consistent seal on the bottle. Using a Home Depot 1/2 inch T fitting and bits and pieces I had, it looks like this will work fine. The line from the wine has a tube within the fitting. Fill time is around 16 seconds, 3 seconds is the latency associated with using a big overflow container. The big overflow also provides a vacuum reservoir and it continues to pull wne after the pump is shut off. Once I put the valve in, I think this will resolve that issue.

A3A185C9-CCFF-4386-B13B-7A533FB554A1.jpg

Last edited:
@DIY, is that's a #1 stopper? I've tried #3 stoppers with two holes and I wasn't able to get a good, consistent seal. With the tube in a tube configuration, I could use a #1 stopper.

@DIY, is that's a #1 stopper? I've tried #3 stoppers with two holes and I wasn't able to get a good, consistent seal. With the tube in a tube configuration, I could use a #1 stopper.

Norcal a # 3 stopper with the tubes placed properly will work just fine - otherwise I have #2 in stock as well. I can't see a # 1 working as a #2 fits in a beer bottle almost flush (which has a smaller opening than a wine bottle )

NorCal, it is a #2 stopper.

We have two versions:

The silicone version:

The rubber version:

Both fit regular bottles (inside diameter of 18.5mm) perfectly.

That stainless steel filler head is essentially a "tube in a tube" design, with other features such as filling level adjustment, anti-foaming ring. It uses a silicone sealing ring to ensure a consistent seal.

Last edited:
Some more work on the auto bottle filler. Using my vacuum pump and overfilling by a second or two into an overflow bottle, it looks like I have a working solution. There is a valve in the box ($16) that is normally opened. When the button is hit ($2), it initiates the timer ($5), which closes the valve and the vacuum then draws the wine to the bottle. There is an overflow bottle to catch 1-2 seconds worth of wine, to assure a consistent fill. Fill time is right at 15 seconds and has the benefit of hands free operation and no fussing with the fill.

I've filled a 100 or so bottles with water and happy with the results. There may be some additional tweaking necessary when it's time to bottle the wine.
3649E25A-D82F-42D1-845A-138CCDD6FF4E.jpg

05B61EE5-834F-4E06-A82C-9FDDC9D91DD5.jpg

96E0E503-47A9-4AEF-A4F3-87D1F10F62B4.jpg

Video of operation: http://youtu.be/mJcjjAGfulI

Looks great! Nice job.

I am curious about the "go switch." It looks like some sort of safety switch that you must enable first? I have not seen that particular kind before. Any info on it?

Just curious: For the 555 timer, did you just use a large RC time constant to get to ~15 seconds, or did you use some sort of two-stage latching circuit?

Hey Sour,

What I needed was a switch that I could hit and stay on, which started the timer and power to the valve. The timer then turns the valve off after it times out. The 555 timer with a relay is a RC circuit built on a module with a pot on it. I picked up on ebay, $5 delivered. The mushroom switch works as an on, or an off switch, when depressed. $2 delivered from ebay. If you are interested in links to the parts, send me a PM.

NorCal,

Watched your video and it is VERY cool. I am impressed!

Since you are so good at woodworking. I think you can make switching bottles a little easier by adding a spring-loaded arm, like this one but instead of aluminum alloy you can use wood of course.

Last edited:
I have a group of 5 winemakers coming over to bottle 60 gallons of our Rhone project in July. I need to have this thing work like a champ.

It has been sitting around and I had 5 gallons of Skeeter to bottle, so I broke it out. It worked like a champ. 24 bottles straight without fiddling, topping bottles, drips. I'll take more video and see how it does with 300 bottles in a row.

Latest posts

Back