puckered up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larry

Reaction score
Hello again folks I put together 2 1 gal batchs one is a cran/rasp. the other is a white cran.both from store bought juice. after primary I racked to glass. A bit later my other half wanted to taste. I drew a little she said they were tart and puckered up. I know i can use a conditioner to sweeten. when I was in the store they have bottles of flavoring.would a bottle of cranberry flavor also be tart? Thank you

It would be best to do a trial and I would start with plain sugar. Make a small glass, keeping track of the amount of wine versus the amount of sugar being added. See if you can get something that works well together. Be sure to treat your wine with potassium sorbate to avoid a re-fermentation in the bottle. My protocol is to get my ratios, add my SO2 and PM, add sugar and then let the carboy sit for a week or two to be sure it is stable before going in the bottle.

(Corrected Sorbate Error)

Last edited:
I would stay away from conditioners. They seem to leave an odd taste to you wine. What is your hydrometer reading? As stated above, do a test on a glass of wine until you have it to where you want it, then take a hydrometer reading, you now know where to sweeten it to.

Latest posts

Back