Pruning different training systems

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted a couple pictures to facebook yesterday and ibglowin wanted a couple before and after for Top Wire Cordon (High Wire Cordon) so I thought I would start a thread showing some different systems. See the following posts..........

Scott-Henry

Here is an after picture of Scott-Henry pruned and then after I pasted the canes back on. LOL I cheated and used one from last year with a background to show it better.

IMG_20130330_115125.jpg

ScottHenryUnpruned.JPG

ScottHenry.jpg

Great pics Rich. I know nothing about vines and probably never will but still find it interesting to look at what you guys have to do to get things to do grow right. Thanks

Thank you sir. Much appreciated. I can't believe you guys still have that much snow on the ground!

That much snow? It looks pretty low to me. You can even see the bare ground! I have friends trying to prune their vineyards right now with over three feet of snow still burying he vines. One guy is doing this on skis.

The 50 degree weather today took a few more inches away. It may be gone by the time it cools off again. Then snow on Tuesday. LOL

Modified GDC

I am posting pictures of unpruned and then pruned Modified Geneva Double Curtain (GDC) from last year since I haven't pruned any of these yet. I need a taller helper to get the upper side as it pulls on the scar under my arm from the biopsy. I am really out of shape after 3 plus months on chemo and the 6 months since I learned I have lymphoma.

ModGDCUnpruned1200.JPG

ModGDCPruned.JPG

ModGDC.jpg

ModGDC2.jpg

Are those last two pics actually of the same vine? I am dissecting the "before and after" and the two vines look totally different from each other. One has a double trunk and the other has only one.

I am trying to get a handle on just how close to trim spurs to the trunk that are lower to the ground and or outside the fruiting zone.

No Mike they aren't the same vine. It is overcast and miserable here today, so I pulled some pictures out of the files to round this out a bit. I will try to post some actual pictures of the same Mod GDC vines if I can get them before my next round of chemo this coming week. You should be able to see that the spurs are being pruned back to a couple buds and each year you try to prune them back to minimize length increase. I had to leave some extra buds because of the extreme cold we saw.

For Ibglowin, here are a couple pictures of ModGDC of a before and after pruning one particular vine. I then show another vine next to it that shows the bracket used to divide the fruiting wires along with showing a vine Keith was finishing up pruning.

ModGDCPrePrune.jpg

ModGDCPostPrune.jpg

ModGDC.jpg

What kind of grapes are those in the pictures? It would be interesting to see how each varity looks with out the leaves on them.

Mike it really is quite simple just choose well developed shoots and cut them back to 1-3 nodes (bud swellings) and then thin out until you have about 3 spurs per foot for a total of 5-7 buds per foot of canopy.

Doug those happen to be Marquette in the last pictures. You really can see the differences in a lot of varieties because of cane color, strenght and other factors, but I have way too much work to take pictures of all of them LOL. A project for somebody else with a passion, I fear.

I am thinking of using something similiar to the modified GDC for Muscadines. Would the upper and lower cordons be too close together for Muscadines? Anyone who grows Muscadines have an opinion?

And thanks Grapeman.

You could do the same thing with the muscadines and just make the angled bar longer to provide the seperation. Mine are only about 30 inches long but can be made longer since I custom build my own anyways. 3 to 4 foot of seperatrion would be better for muscadine.

Latest posts

Back