Questions about cross pollination

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just a quick question regarding Cross Pollination that I am not 100% sure about. If a species of grape is Self-Pollinating, and it is planted next to another self-pollinating species, can they still cross pollinate?

Here is the reason I am asking. I have 13 vines coming in on tuesday. I am not going to go through every one of my set ups, but I'll give you an example. Two of the species I have coming in are Cabernet Sauvignon and a German species called Gewurztreminer. Both are Vertical Shoot Position style training systems. So, I have a 24' VSP training system set up, able to hold 4 vines. I intend on planting the cabernet on the left side, and the Gewurtz on the right. Leaving enough space in between for 2 more vines, which I intend to get by taking cuttings of the grape vine just before they "wake up" for the season. (This wouldn't be for 2 years, after I have the cordons set up properly and I trim them back for the start of the next season.). Now, having the Cabernet and the Gewurtz on the same trellis system, 2 vines on the right of Gewurtz and 2 vines of cabernet on the left, would these two species possibly cross pollinate? This question goes for all my other vines, most of which are top wire cordon systems, and a few modified munson. But the same question applies.
Thanks in advance.

Unless you plan on harvesting and planting the grape seeds it doesn’t matter. The grapes will taste the same no matter if they are self pollinated or by pollinated by some wild grape vine growing in a nearby fence line. The only time you need to control pollination is when you are intentionally trying to cross grapes to develop new varieties.

That said, grapes are primarily wind pollinated but insects play a roll too. They will definitely cross.

Last edited:
Unless you plan on harvesting and planting the grape seeds it doesn’t matter. The grapes will taste the same no matter if they are self pollinated or by pollinated by some wild grape vine growing in a nearby fence line. The only time you need to control pollination is when you are intentionally trying to cross grapes to develop new varieties.
Understood. Thank you very much.

The grape you have ordered is all in the same species, vinifera.
The grapes are different selections (varieties) field selected hundred of years ago. The native North American genetics seem to resist fungus better, ,,, work better in an organic system.

The grape you have ordered is all in the same species, vinifera.
The grapes are different selections (varieties) field selected hundred of years ago. The native North American genetics seem to resist fungus better, ,,, work better in an organic system.
I saw that on the double a Vineyards website that pretty much all the species which are used primarily in making wine are very susceptible to different diseases. Now, they do make organic fungicides and powder mildew preventers. So I am going to look into those, just in case. Obviously there's no point in doing this if it's going to get destroyed. That being said, what products would you suggest to prevent these things? I do not mind getting something to kill fungus or mildew if the organic stuff doesn't work very well. The grape vines are on a different part of the property then my garden and all the other fruits, veggies, and herbs, so if I have to get a non-organic product in order to ensure I get good clusters of grapes, I am willing to do that.

Latest posts

Back