Primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmyers

wine maker in progress
Reaction score
To cover or not to cover that is the question
I have come to realize that peoples methods differ as much as the flavors of wine you can make and i can usually see why certain things are done a certain way but why some cover and airlock their primary while others leave it open i cant decide which method is best

Leave the lid loose and place a towel over the lid. When you seal the lid and add an airlock to the primary you are robbing your must of oxygen that it needs to ferment and that causes a stuck fermentation. Yes I know there are people who do and never have a stuck fermentation but that is like playing Russian Roulette, why take the chance?

To add a bit to Julie's comments, the science is oxygen is needed for yeast to thrive but harmful later. That's why you go from primary to carboy and add the airlock. If you prefer to seal the primary, open it daily.

Some folks have young children or pets that can create a mess by playing with the primary bucket. Others may live in places where bugs are everywhere. In those instances sealing the primary may be a good idea.

Until a few years ago I always snapped the lid under airlock during primary fermentation. Most of the kits you buy tell you to do this so that was my habbit. I never had an issue nor did I ever stir (actually I still don't). My best reason for snapping the lid down, I love watching and listening to the airlock bubble.

With that said, today I lay the lid on the primary. Heck, my last batch of 24 gallons of CA Cab Merlot, I fermented in an open Brute Garbage can.

blue_bubbling_liquid_md_wht.gif

I started using a covered primary but switched and now I do an open primary ferment with a cloth covering the top and secured with an elastic cord.

If my primary is in my basement (whites, meads, apple; or reds during the summer) then I just cover it with a sanitized pillowcase and secure it with a couple of bungee cords. If it it up in a living area, near my pets and child, I snap the lid tight and open it daily for the first two or three days. Once I get a good whiff of alcohol out of it, then it stays closed.

In my latest BLOG post I try and explain why and when you need to place your wine under airlock. I'm sure there are more detailed explanations out there but I tried to make it as simple as I could. It all has to do with the yeast needs.

like how u have taken into account both sides of the debate . you blog makes alot of sense to me thanks SBWs

Leave the lid loose and place a towel over the lid. When you seal the lid and add an airlock to the primary you are robbing your must of oxygen that it needs to ferment and that causes a stuck fermentation. Yes I know there are people who do and never have a stuck fermentation but that is like playing Russian Roulette, why take the chance?

Ditto! I'm with Julie.

Latest posts

Back