Finer Wine Kit FWK Northern Rhone vs Southern Rhone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailor323

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Rhone wines in general. Those of you who have made both the FWK northern and southern wines, which do you find best? Why? which is most representative? I realize that taste is a subjective thing but others' opinions are useful when accompanied with commentary. I recently opened a bottle of Southern Rhone from 2022. It has a powerful nose, great color and a jammy taste.

I've only made the Southern so far & my experience mimics yours!

I'd like to add to this thread. Now I've made both the Northern and Southern style kits. They are both good and the Northern may hold the edge. Both styles have great nose, and both are fruit forward. Both have satisfying tannins. However both are very light in color and very light in taste, very unlike typical Rhônes. I compared the southern style to a commerical Côtes du Rhône and a Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre from a kit. Both were much heavier than either of the FWK wines and the GSM was dynamite compared to the FWKs.

Back