potassium sorbate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terry51

Junior
Reaction score
I racked and bottled my MM sauvignon blanc last nite. After it was all done, I realized that I had forgotten to add the sorbate. What should I do? Uncork all the bottles, add the sorbate and re-bottle? I had degassed it quite well several weeks ago and it had hardly any bubbles when I racked it last nite.

You should be OK. As long as you followed the rest of the directions and the wine went dry (.990) no problem. Some of us only add sorbate to wines we backsweeten. Also if you do a MLF you don't want to add sorbate.

Would bulk aging for 6-9 months eliminate the need to add sorbate? I have always added it and maybe I shouldn't.
Does sorbate add any off-flavor potentially causing what some may think isdue to making froma kit?

If aging 6-9 months no need for it. Make sure you add 1/4tsp k-meta every 3 month though.

since I'm a newbie, and at the risk of sounding very stupid, what is MLF?I follow the enclosed directions to 'T'.....but the kit contains everything that I supposedly need....the one difference is the extra pot. meta. that George says to add to your wine when bottling in his instructional video.

So it's only purpose is to ensure fermentation is stopped, right?

It "stuns" the yeast so fermentation does not restart. Only works when the wine is dry and having k-meta added. It's alot harder to stop fermentation before it's finished (dry).

MLF is Malolactic fermentation a process that turns tart malic acid to softer lactic acid and others can give you a more detailed explanation. This is not a process you want to try when making kit wines.
VC

Sorbate also has preservative properties and will help will your wine stay good on the shelf longer.

Latest posts

Back