Potassium sorbate to primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samh200

Reaction score
I add Potassium sorbate to my primary 5 gallon skeeter pee, misunderstood recipe:slp Did I mess up the batch???

AHHH Sam I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think you're in trouble with that batch. At least it's only Skeeter Pee. Unless if someone else has an idea how you can save this I think you're going to have to start over. You have completely stabilized your wine to prevent fermentation.

Sounds like you have yourself an extra large batch of tasty lemonade. Invite the kids over and have a party. As for an alcohol version, I think you'll need another batch for that.

Thanks you guys!!! I had that feeling... A good lesson learned!!!:(
Skeeter Pee Batch #1 :ts

Don't give up! Maybe the wine just needs some CPR!

Don't dump it. Pitch in some more yeast and see what happens. I've heard of people doing just what you did and able to get the fermentation going again. It's worth the price of a pack of yeast to try, isn't it?

Don't give up! Maybe the wine just needs some CPR!

Don't dump it. Pitch in some more yeast and see what happens. I've heard of people doing just what you did and able to get the fermentation going again. It's worth the price of a pack of yeast to try, isn't it?
Don't just pitch the yeast (ie sprinkle on top), create a massive starter to add. It might work.

Steve

Let us know if you can get it started again. It will be interesting.

It's not a matter of getting it going again - it never got going and likely won't with k-meta and k-sorbate added prefermentation! It's a bummer but at least the only thing wasted at this point is the juice.

It's not a matter of getting it going again - it never got going and likely won't with k-meta and k-sorbate added prefermentation! It's a bummer but at least the only thing wasted at this point is the juice.

Thanks for pointing that out.
True, "started again", was not appropriate, since it never got started in the first place (and likely never will). I would throw out the must, start with a new batch of juice, and count it all as good experience.

For the sake of the person, who started the thread and who may not fully understand the problem -
the idea is that sorbate keeps the yeast from multiplying; campden tablets (Kmeta) seriously stuns the yeast and certainly could kill a number of them, too.

So, yes, you can create a very large yeast starter to get the number of yeast up high enough that they (might??) could finish the fermentation without having to multiply. Problem is, even at that, you have the kmeta from the campden tablets with which the yeast will have to contend.

I would just start over with fresh juice.

So, yes, you can create a very large yeast starter to get the number of yeast up high enough that they (might??) could finish the fermentation without having to multiply. Problem is, even at that, you have the kmeta from the campden tablets with which the yeast will have to contend.
After 24-48 hours won't the K-meta have dissipated somewhat? Stirring would encourage it to dissipate. Other conditions would have to be very good though (eg temperature).

Steve

After 24-48 hours won't the K-meta have dissipated somewhat? Stirring would encourage it to dissipate. Other conditions would have to be very good though (eg temperature).

Steve

I hear you. It is a good question. Several times on this forum I have read about people adding too much Kmeta up front, even with a kit, but their fermentation eventually started anyway. I also know of many who routinely add half their F packs up from and all finishes OK. I figure those F packs were loaded with sorbate.

In this case you have both sorbate and Kmeta up front.

It's not going to cost but a few packets of yeast and a little time to try it. If, instead of a small recipe of SP, it were a $150 kit, I would at least try it.

It will require a big starter, though. Still, I would like to find out what happens.

I hear you. It is a good question. Several times on this forum I have read about people adding too much Kmeta up front, even with a kit, but their fermentation eventually started anyway. I also know of many who routinely add half their F packs up from and all finishes OK. I figure those F packs were loaded with sorbate.
Personally I don't think that they are "loaded" with sorbate. If you are making a mist kit, and add the F-pack without adding the packet of sorbate included with the kit, it will probably ferment the sugars in the F-pack.

I figure that the F-pack, like wine conditioner, contains enough sorbate to stop the F-pack (or wine conditioner) from fermenting.

Steve

Personally I don't think that they are "loaded" with sorbate. If you are making a mist kit, and add the F-pack without adding the packet of sorbate included with the kit, it will probably ferment the sugars in the F-pack.

I figure that the F-pack, like wine conditioner, contains enough sorbate to stop the F-pack (or wine conditioner) from fermenting.

Steve

No argument. I think I made my point.

If all else fails you could always add vodka and make vodka lemonade. "When life throws you lemons"! ...

Latest posts

Back