Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From junk to jewel: 1969 big in/big out toploader 4-speed. Will go behind the 429 in my 1969 Fairlane. Just buttoned it up and painted it yesterday. DIY at a third of the cost of buying a rebuilt one.

I had one of those in a 67 Cougar (390 HP too). I still have a pile of floor shifter parts in the shed. My wife was forever locking it in 2 gears at once (don't remeber which) at the same time. Cured that by welding a small piece of metal which made the shifter move it out of one gear before engaging the next. Again, poor memory of how, but it worked perfectly. Never had to crawl under it again to cure her problems!!!

good job. I have rebuilt three engines but I have never and never will work on a transmission or rear end. Did that require special tools?

I had one of those in a 67 Cougar (390 HP too). I still have a pile of floor shifter parts in the shed. My wife was forever locking it in 2 gears at once (don't remeber which) at the same time. Cured that by welding a small piece of metal which made the shifter move it out of one gear before engaging the next. Again, poor memory of how, but it worked perfectly. Never had to crawl under it again to cure her problems!!!

The problem you probably actually had was the interlock pin was either not working properly or had been left out during a rebuild. That pin keeps the trans from being able to lock in two gears. On disassembly, the pin always falls into the bottom of the case and it is frequently mistaken as being one of the loose roller bearings that also fall there frequently as stuff comes apart. On reassembly, it gets left out a lot.

This one is getting a new Hurst Competition setup.

Last edited:
good job. I have rebuilt three engines but I have never and never will work on a transmission or rear end. Did that require special tools?

I no longer own a press, so I had the front bearing removed and a new one pressed on the input shaft ($10 charge). Other than that, no special tools unless you call snap ring pliers a special tool. I have half a dozen of them.

Hey Jim if you have a smart phone, get the goggle sky app. All you do is point it at the sky and it tells you what planet or constellation you are looking at. It's pretty cool.

My last restoration before starting the wine hobby. 1972 Triumph TR6. Stripe was painted, in tribute to Bob Tulius, who raced them back in the day, with a similar stripe.

DB18E395-408E-421B-B71B-14A6401120BF.png

When I was in High School, the parents of a buddy of mine owned a red TR6. One day, we took it for a joy ride. The car would go from 0 to "holy crap" in 6 seconds. The best part is that we never got caught.

Hey Jim if you have a smart phone, get the goggle sky app. All you do is point it at the sky and it tells you what planet or constellation you are looking at. It's pretty cool.

No smartphone. You are confusing me with someone who actually makes good money for his work or who ranks highly enough to have work pay for his phone! :)

That was my life prior to 2012, not this one.

Actually, I am planning to cancel the flip phone I have. Most of the calls I get are sales recordings. And it's on the do not call list since 2007. For this I am now paying $500 a year? No thanks. It's interesting. There is no readily available place to cancel an account with my carrier. You really have to hunt to find out where you say "STOP!"

Latest posts

Back