Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByWine Making1421281393.674273.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1421281450.635501.jpg

This was there along with an impala. I wonder if they suffered the same fate as the still. The impala was upside down and the interior and roof of each one was destroyed, no plastic or glass left at all.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1421281708.510715.jpg

Took these photos from my Gran's old cookbook after she passed this fall. My Aunt had made a note on it to my Mom that I should check out the wine recipes. You can see from the front page that the book was published in the 30's.

IMG_20141220_173906.jpg

IMG_20141220_173837.jpg

When you find things like this it's always fun to try to imagine the story behind it

Yeah, up in the woods on a very small stream on my mothers property hear in Alabama is the rusted remains of a 55 gallon drum. When I saw it about 45 years ago it was clear that it was a moonshine still. There was a family in this area known to be the biggest moonshiners around who most likely made it.

I need to go up there again and try to find it.

Took these photos from my Gran's old cookbook after she passed this fall. My Aunt had made a note on it to my Mom that I should check out the wine recipes. You can see from the front page that the book was published in the 30's.

That well-aged cookbook doesn't happen to have a chokecherry wine recipe does it? My dad talks about the chokecherry wine his grandparents used to make in a crock in the basement. This would have been the 30's and 40's probably. Next problem is where to find chokecherries, I live in Missouri and get funny looks when I inquire about them.

How Far We've Come

9102014wtcsitebldgshdSw018.jpg

View From The Top

9102014wtcsitedownhdSw007.jpg

url]

The Memorial

9102014wtcsitehdSw024.jpg

9102014wtcsitewesthdSw042.jpg

872013wtcsitebldgshdSw026-3.jpg

Last edited:
That well-aged cookbook doesn't happen to have a chokecherry wine recipe does it? My dad talks about the chokecherry wine his grandparents used to make in a crock in the basement. This would have been the 30's and 40's probably. Next problem is where to find chokecherries, I live in Missouri and get funny looks when I inquire about them.

I'll have to check when I'm at my parent's place next time. Apparently my grandfather also made chokecherry wine - but no one would drink it ;)

I'll have to check when I'm at my parent's place next time. Apparently my grandfather also made chokecherry wine - but no one would drink it ;)

Wow, chokecherry wine. Chokecherries alone are strong. The Lakota make a meat food kind of like a protein packed trail mix called wasna from chokecherries, dried meat and brown sugar, pounded together. A somewhat similar taste is found in Tanka Bars (http://www.tankabar.com/cgi-bin/nanf/public/main.cvw), though they are sweeter than the wasna I have eaten.

Yes, chokecherries do have their own flavour, that's for sure. A wine I have going right now has a significant portion of chokecherries in it along with some other berries I picked this summer. Basically all-juice. I think it may take a decade or so to calm down :)

I work about 10 miles from NYC. It seemed like you turn your head and the new freedom tower had 5 new floors!

What I find stupefying is the Burj Khalifa. If you took the old Twin Towers of the WTC, and stacked one on top of the other, you would just barely be taller than the Burj Khalifa. (Like by 6 feet or so, depending on where you counted from.) If you stacked the Empire State Building on top of the Willis Tower (i.e., the Sears Tower), it would still be shorter. If you stacked the Trump Building (i.e., 40 Wall St., once the tallest building in the world) on top of the new Freedom Tower, it would still be shorter.

Back