Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's alfalfa. And it ought to be, for as much as that stuff costs per bale vs wheat straw.

We get about a dozen eggs a day in our household of two. We have MORE eggs than we could probably ever eat. Luckily we are able to sell them, so the girls pay for themselves.

Yea I do that as well ive got 50 rhode island reds. I sell the eggs and it just covers feed cost and keeps the neighbors happy. And alfalfa is crazy expensive here to. I dont buy it unless I have some goat kids or Nanny s in milk

It's alfalfa. And it ought to be, for as much as that stuff costs per bale vs wheat straw.

We get about a dozen eggs a day in our household of two. We have MORE eggs than we could probably ever eat. Luckily we are able to sell them, so the girls pay for themselves.

Yikes! You can buy wheat straw a lot cheaper for the same result. Just saying. I'm a cattle farmer, so I know my hay. Love yard eggs, the best kind! Chickens who get bugs make awesome eggs. I just finished up a dozen duck eggs given to us by a friend. Mmmm!

I'd love to keep a flock, but only I eat eggs at my house, and I have too many neighbors' "country" dogs running around loose. Maybe someday...

Yea I do that as well ive got 50 rhode island reds. I sell the eggs and it just covers feed cost and keeps the neighbors happy. And alfalfa is crazy expensive here to. I dont buy it unless I have some goat kids or Nanny s in milk

Even when I ran goats, I never was able to afford alfalfa. Left that to the horse people. I had a herd of about 60 goats at one time...

My favorite goat pic...

I don't have the goats anymore. Lot of work, too little return. They did provide us with farm meat for the table, though, for many years. :n

Jericurl, do you eat your old hens? Mmmm...

Last edited:
I won't be buying them alfalfa very often.

I grew up on a farm, got a job with an airline when I was 18 and never looked back.
Now that I'm old and "settled" I'd like to get back to a homesteading way of life. Even though I'm not even remotely what most around here consider "country." Which is hilarious since I have chickens, garden, can, and making mead/wine.

Anyway, I heard that the chickens will eat some of the alfalfa and it acts supplemental as well as being bedding.
As far as I can tell, they just **** all over it.
First and last bale of alfalfa I ever buy them....
Of course the last wheat straw bale I bought was absolutely awful. I doubt there was a stick of straw longer than 3 inches in that whole bale.
It just fell apart as soon as I took the baling wire off it. Wouldn't even flake off into sections I could easily pick up and toss into the coop.

I just got my chickens last May.
You bet your sweet bippy I'll be eating the old hens.
I'm eyeing a troublemaker now. If she doesn't settle down, she'll be in the crockpot on Sunday.

Whatever hatches out of this broody hen will likely be heading to freezer camp around June or so.
I'll keep anything that sparks my fancy but anything after that is going into the freezer.
Manthing is very excited. He's been eyeing several pieces of wood. He wants to make a "choppin stump."

My pops always ran goats. There is no cuter animal than a baby goat.

Are those Boers?

I'd like to have a nanny or two for cheese and weed control in the backyard.
Manthing is adamantly against goats right now.

I know a family friend that has goats and I may hit her up for some goat milk to make soap and some cheese with...we will see.

My dad has cattle and horses right now.

We are thinking of talking him into butchering a steer in the fall, depending on what yearlings he has left.
I know he sold a couple of them for taxes on the land.

Cattle prices here are insanely high. I'm not looking forward to the price of beef come autumn.

My dad has cattle and horses right now.

We are thinking of talking him into butchering a steer in the fall, depending on what yearlings he has left.
I know he sold a couple of them for taxes on the land.

Cattle prices here are insanely high. I'm not looking forward to the price of beef come autumn.

Come fall go looking for some government cattle. ;)

Boer cross goats. They are great on the smoker, or were. I got rid of them to concentrate on cattle, at just the right time. Hardly any work to cows. Lots of work to goats, guard dogs, etc.

Jericurl, get you one of those funnels. Put the chicken in it head down, off with the head, drain the blood into a bucket. Very neat, no chasing around.

I trust you are a HT forum member? I am but don't go there much anymore.

Couple of my calves from last year...

Were just getting into zebu cattle. And I agree goats can be alot of work. But at one point I had a good amount sold them all and withinf the past year I got more just because I miss the personality they had. I have nubian boer cross now and even a mixed breed goat go's for alot ae ound these parts

@jericurl You really ARE my homesteading twin! Lol, I've nearly got Bry convinced that we should get some decent property, build and earthship, and homestead. I swear I'm thisclose.

Our friends have wild boars, and I'd love to have one of those a year to fatten up and butcher. Yum! And hens and ducks. Heck yeah! I'd keep a cow and a couple of goats mostly for the milk and some meat as it goes along.

Ahhhh, dreams! I found a nice 160acre piece for $40k, and it's looking awful good right about now :)

Can you tell what street I live on? (dirt road really)
IMG_2645.JPG

PS pretty sure I could handle Manitoba ;)

Latest posts

Back