Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plowboy, that is dead on the money correct. I'm still on auto, I took it off "training wheels" setting for a couple of days and crashed and burned. At least no film was harmed in the making of those pictures. I'll get back to learning the manual settings this summer.
Mike

I actually broke down and got book about my camera. Took about a month to read in my spare time but it was well worth it. I'm still saving my nickels and dimes to buy a new lens with a big fstop.

Any body else feeling this way these days?

10175083_921804191182368_7102883349954412891_n.jpg

Dogwood blooms pretty much done here, but here's a pic of a contractor who was taking photos of it snowing as they installed new windows at my house on April 15. We got both snowfall (no accumulation) and frost on that date, our last average frost date.

Snow shots…

it's been a strange winter, that's for sure. We had 80 plus degree weather last week, and for the last three days, we had overnight lows at 32F.

Last edited:
He's just about fat enough for turkey season next week. Just have to steak him out in a field and make it like and accident lol

byve9ure.jpg

I actually broke down and got book about my camera. Took about a month to read in my spare time but it was well worth it. I'm still saving my nickels and dimes to buy a new lens with a big fstop.

OK, plowboy and Kraffty (and anyone else that cares to chime in). I've been a point and shoot or iPhone photographer (and I use the term very loosely) my whole life. I'd like to get into it a little more. For years, I've been eyeing the Nikons (started with the D3000/D5000 several years back), but have yet to pull the trigger. I'm now drooling over the D5100 with the kit lense. I'd like to upgrade/supplement that eventually with the 55-300 VR lense. Thoughts on that combo? I'd also probably get the "D5100 for Dummies", as I know very little about this beast. My knowledge at this point is limited to "low light, longer exposure". :D Thanks!

You can't go wrong with Nikon. I think my mom actually has that camera. She was also a p&s user but made the transition without too much pain.

I picked up a old school film 55-300 lens for my camera for 100 buck or so. It's about as bare bones basic as a lens could get. But it works well enough for me.

Best advice I ever got was to invest real money in your lens collection. Body's tend to come and go but the glass will pay off for life. It's another example of buy once, cry once and live happily ever after.

I think all the mid level canon-nikons are close enough you'll be happy either way. They both do more than most of us will ever use and are great investments. I've had canons over the years and I guess it's a little like Ford/Chevy where I have a perceived preference. Like plowboy said, invest in lenses. I have 5 ranging from micro to 300mm telephoto that I can shoot just about anything with them but we keep a 50-100 on it 90% of the time. Do it, you'll be amazed at the difference it makes. You'll end up driving/walking around looking for things to shoot.
Mike

That is amazing -- what were you doing up at dawn?? :)

Nice looking sunrise -- LA pollution is good for something! I used to live on Long Island, which is, of course, east of NYC. We generally had pretty nice, red sunsets due to NYC pollution.

Ya the iPhone does seem to be the default camera. For the most part it's actually a pretty decent camera. Hard to beat the fact it's always just a pocket away

I posted this today on a different thread, but might as well post it here. This is not quite THE Chateauneuf du Pape. Rather, it is the former Papal Residence in Avignon, France. The "new chateau" was built some years after the first part of this one was completed. The "new chateau" is about 18 km away, in the town that is now known as Chateauneuf-du-Pape, and was a "get-out-of-town" retreat place.

avignon.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back