Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I planted these azaleas over 25 years ago. Our only disappointment as they are in bloom only for a week in the spring.

View attachment 100147
Gorgeous!
Mine are blooming too.
This shouldn't be a surprise - I checked, they contain a neurotoxin called grayanotoxin. No wine ingredients there. Bummer.

This shouldn't be a surprise - I checked, they contain a neurotoxin called grayanotoxin. No wine ingredients there. Bummer.
Part of me is SERIOUSLY worried about you ... and part of me is leading the cheering section.

Nope, that's not true. I'm not worried at all. Just waiting, anticipating what you're gonna ferment next. :)

All jokes aside, your research is a good thing, one hopefully others will emulate. Knowing what is poisonous and what is not is critical. We had a guy some months back asking about fermenting something that was potentially poisonous. Kind of like tossing a brown recluse spider back-n-forth between your hands ...

Ron White was talking about such folks ....

Part of me is SERIOUSLY worried about you ... and part of me is leading the cheering section.

Nope, that's not true. I'm not worried at all. Just waiting, anticipating what you're gonna ferment next. :)

All jokes aside, your research is a good thing, one hopefully others will emulate. Knowing what is poisonous and what is not is critical. We had a guy some months back asking about fermenting something that was potentially poisonous. Kind of like tossing a brown recluse spider back-n-forth between your hands ...

Ron White was talking about such folks ....
Started my first wine of the year from the yard yesterday. Wasn't even on my list. Stay tuned.

I'll often do things just to see what happens but that doesn't include eating and drinking. Mother Nature certainly provides a bounty of lethal surprises. On the other hand, "Lucrezia Borgia" is a pretty name for a wine.😳

Yes, Ron White.

Gorgeous!
Mine are blooming too.
I don't mean to play devil's advocate here, but the important thing about neurotoxins is proper dosage. 😄

Honey made from the nectar and so containing pollen of these plants also contains grayanotoxins and is commonly referred to as mad honey.[3] Consumption of the plant or any of its secondary products, including mad honey, can cause a rare poisonous reaction called grayanotoxin poisoning, mad honey disease, honey intoxication, or rhododendron poisoning.[3][4] It is most frequently produced and consumed in regions of Nepal and Turkey as a recreational drug and traditional medicine.[5]

Medicine is good for you! :cool:

I don't mean to play devil's advocate here, but the important thing about neurotoxins is proper dosage. 😄

Honey made from the nectar and so containing pollen of these plants also contains grayanotoxins and is commonly referred to as mad honey.[3] Consumption of the plant or any of its secondary products, including mad honey, can cause a rare poisonous reaction called grayanotoxin poisoning, mad honey disease, honey intoxication, or rhododendron poisoning.[3][4] It is most frequently produced and consumed in regions of Nepal and Turkey as a recreational drug and traditional medicine.[5]

Medicine is good for you! :cool:
Yes, I saw that about mad honey, too. I have to admit that if I saw "Mad Honey!" on a shelf I'd be thinking, "Ooooh, I gotta try that!"

Last Friday we headed east (and luckily escaped the blizzard and tornadoes along the way) to DC. The weather was sunny and unseasonably warm the whole week we were there, so we had a good time seeing the sights and taking in the history. This was the first trip to DC for both hubby and me. We already want to go back!

The cherry blossoms were past peak but we did see some and they smelled divine!

Attachments

• IMG_8201.jpeg
    IMG_8201.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8227.jpeg
    IMG_8227.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8224.jpeg
    IMG_8224.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8183.jpeg
    IMG_8183.jpeg