Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the well cover heater I built in January 1996, and other than the bulbs (which last 5 to 7 years), it's the original.

View attachment 96992
Our well head froze the first year in the house, and our builder was kind enough to lend a small quartz heater to thaw it out. He recommended putting a 40 to 60 watt bulb inside the cover, and plug it in when the temperature drops below freezing. The heat of the incandescent bulb is sufficient to keep the temp inside the cover above freezing.

So I purchased a $1.98 USD pigtail (single bulb socket on short cord), took some stiff wire from a hay bale, and built a jig which holds the bulb up on the inside and keeps the plug out of the mud on the outside. This highly complex solution took minutes to create. The cord passes though imperfections in the cover housing and the concrete base, so it's not crushed by the cover.

When incandescent bulbs went bye-bye, I purchased a box of 'em. At current consumption I'll need to live to 200 to use them up, which I'm perfectly willing to do.

Nice setup. We can still get incandescents at Walmart here. Shrug. I bought bunch cuz they all were gonna be gone, and yet we still can get them.

Lots of folks use the light bulb trick in spring houses here, when the spring is low-flow. I have our well surrounded by landscape blocks but it doesn't really get cold enough long enough to worry about freeze-up and my well pipe exits 3 feet in the ground. If I was counting on collecting up in a tank a little-finger sized trickle out of a small spring like some folks here do, though, I'd have it heated.

New Year's Day excitement. T-Bone the Bull arrived today!

Here he comes...
View attachment 96982

Andy says, hang a right at the gate...
View attachment 96983

And he makes the turn!
View attachment 96984

The cows are saying, "Oooo la-la!" 😄 Ya got him until May 1, girls, so make the best of it.
View attachment 96985

Jack, left, and Andy... and the back half of an uncooperative Ruby. 😄 They partner farming Jack's land in Franklin, TN, north of me and just south of Nashville. Andy's my nephew. We've had this deal where I overwinter their bull for a few years now. Works for both our operations.
View attachment 96986
Man, that's a lot of animal! (not Jack or Andy... or Ruby)

Yes sir. There was so much moisture in the air that my mirrors were icing up on my drive the day before. Luckily heated mirrors are a standard feature in the north!

Sure makes for a beautiful change of every part of the country.

Sorry, it was a "no rhyme or reason" pun... Okay, I will go sit in the corner now...

And here I thought avoiding that was a major reason why folks buy artificial trees in the first place. Silly me. 😄
Last year we had 5% of that amount of needles, so this was a real surprise!

Cost is a factor. This tree cost less than a real tree, and we've had it 10+ years. Plus we are not adding to the mess in landfills.

Last year we had 5% of that amount of needles, so this was a real surprise!

Cost is a factor. This tree cost less than a real tree, and we've had it 10+ years. Plus we are not adding to the mess in landfills.

I was just making a lil joke. The local utility shreds real trees here and then distributes it as free mulch. For what a real tree costs, I'd use artificial too, if we went in for big Christmas trees. Ours is a 3-foot tall plastic one with integral lights and ornaments that pops in and out of the box in seconds. 😄

2022 financial year perspective 🤦‍♂️

View attachment 97027

Awesome! You beat the NASDAQ by 10 points! That is a great result. I'm down 31%. Life happens. I consider this a rare stock sale. My opinion: Buy with everything you can spare now and right on into the first half of 2023. Your 2028 self will thank you profusely. Alternately, if you trade options, now's a decent time to short stocks and make money on a falling market. I do that, too.

Awesome! You beat the NASDAQ by 10 points! That is a great result. I'm down 31%. Life happens. I consider this a rare stock sale. My opinion: Buy with everything you can spare now and right on into the first half of 2023. Your 2028 self will thank you profusely. Alternately, if you trade options, now's a decent time to short stocks and make money on a falling market. I do that, too.

lol.......good that you're happy. I'm not.

Latest posts

Back