Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, last one of this year about my car, I promise…lol

Another poll had 99% for blue 😅

Before, and after….🙂

6D03381F-E2C6-484B-9AA0-ACD4A1A40B26.jpeg
4E362602-48F7-4942-B63D-C664C47CFE54.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 96882
Made our way home from So. Cal. with a planned overnight stop at Lake Havasu City. There's a stretch of about 150 miles across the high desert between Barstow CA and Needles CA with very few stops or services available. Sidewall/Tread separated during the last downhill section at about 80mph. Warning lights came on and I got to watch it count down to about 10lbs as I pulled off on the first Needles offramp that just happened to have a tire shop at the end of the ramp. The truck stayed straight the whole time, never really even pulled to the right, thank goodness for the TPI systems. 1-1/2 hours, $1,335.00 and 4 new goodyears later we were back on the road. Other than oil changes, filters, wiper blades etc it's the first money I've put into this truck since I bought it 4 years ago.

Glad it worked out for you! Man, I had a front tire go flat on my F150 (pre-wheel monitors) and I was in traffic for a while and people were rolling down their windows and pointing. I finally pulled off. Tire destroyed. I had no idea it was even flat! Smooth ride, no steering wheel pull. Shrug.

The days of spending $200 on a set of tires is as lost as my youth! ;)

Speaking of high prices, I just had to replace the battery in my car. It needed a T4, the listing said. Cost? $229 with 2 year warranty. I was like, the hell with that, lemme go to Walmart with the old one. I pulled batteries until I found one. A 121R is an inch higher, same footprint. Fit perfectly. $158 with 3 year warranty.

Usually, I just go to around auto parts stores and ask them if they have any batteries to sell out the back. People get batteries when it is really the alternator that's shot, and then they bring them back. You can buy them half price if you find one that fits. No warranty but hey, it is STILL a brand new battery. But this time I didn't have time, we had to make a short trip that afternoon.

Another tip for cheapskates. 😜 If you have a Rural King nearby, go there. They have some really cheap battery prices, if they have what you need.

When I was an auto mechanic, a battery with 7-year warranty was $59.95. Try to even find a warranty that long now. A 3 year warranty battery back then was typically $29.95. LOL.

New Year's Day excitement. T-Bone the Bull arrived today!

Here he comes...
IMG_20230101_101130717.jpg

Andy says, hang a right at the gate...
IMG_20230101_101132231_HDR.jpg

And he makes the turn!
IMG_20230101_101133042.jpg

The cows are saying, "Oooo la-la!" 😄 Ya got him until May 1, girls, so make the best of it.
IMG_20230101_101200062_HDR.jpg

Jack, left, and Andy... and the back half of an uncooperative Ruby. 😄 They partner farming Jack's land in Franklin, TN, north of me and just south of Nashville. Andy's my nephew. We've had this deal where I overwinter their bull for a few years now. Works for both our operations.
IMG_20230101_102653417_HDR.jpg

This is the well cover heater I built in January 1996, and other than the bulbs (which last 5 to 7 years), it's the original.

1672597998865.png

Our well head froze the first year in the house, and our builder was kind enough to lend a small quartz heater to thaw it out. He recommended putting a 40 to 60 watt bulb inside the cover, and plug it in when the temperature drops below freezing. The heat of the incandescent bulb is sufficient to keep the temp inside the cover above freezing.

So I purchased a $1.98 USD pigtail (single bulb socket on short cord), took some stiff wire from a hay bale, and built a jig which holds the bulb up on the inside and keeps the plug out of the mud on the outside. This highly complex solution took minutes to create. The cord passes though imperfections in the cover housing and the concrete base, so it's not crushed by the cover.

When incandescent bulbs went bye-bye, I purchased a box of 'em. At current consumption I'll need to live to 200 to use them up, which I'm perfectly willing to do.

Latest posts

Back