Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's nice having wildlife around. We have deer on a daily basis as well. There were 7 in the driveway when I came in the other day.

Last year they finally got in the garden. We got away without a fence for 10 years. Last year we pulled everything but the beets and that night they came and pulled every one and took a bite for good measure. Over the next 3-4 nights they came back and cleaned them all up.

Everything is just starting to come up. Potatoes are about an inch tall. I'm not going to push my luck too far. The fence will be up in a couple of weeks.
I had to put up a fence around the garden this year. Got away with no fence for 6 years, but last year woodchucks, raccoons and deer finally found it. They got more out of it than we did! :m And it didn't end there. It was a pretty mild winter here, but for some reason the deer devastated the neighborhood - ate up almost every evergreen shrub in site.
1655084000433.png
1655084034644.png
1655084109654.png
1655084219087.png

Last edited:
We had Lori's Aunt and her aunt's husband visiting from Tenn. over the weekend. We took them up to Flagstaff to sightsee about 10:30 in the morn. About the time we reached Flag we started seeing a pretty small plume of smoke behind the city. The wind was blowing like crazy and I said this could be bad. Within a couple of hours it had grown to over 1000 acres. We were in a candy shop when everyone's phones and watches started sounding off with evacuation warnings for the next closest town. We headed back home and by the morning it was around 5000 acres and growing. Wind warnings in effect through tomorrow.
pipelineFire.jpg

A view from just outside our porch. Turned out to be a beautiful day in northern PA. Haven't been this relaxed in years. Puttering around and working on small projects, which always exist around this cabin. Hoping to go fishing this evening, looks like there are some good fly hatches the last few evenings.

Nice I can post up here, my brother signed up for StarLink and they sent him the unit the next day. I guess he's one of the first testers up in this area. Problem is the canyon walls, get an outage about once a minute. Not noticeable unless you hit "post" when it's out. Can watch videos as long as they buffer. My brother and his family were watching Netflix etc on a Roku device. I come up here to escape the world, lol, no videos for us.

6-14-22_cottage-3.jpg

Edit: Wifey just said I missed a doe and her fawn walking across on the bike trail a few minutes ago. Can't beat that! My wife is pretty sure that it was the same fawn came up to her on a walk yesterday until she realized she wasn't "mommy".

Last edited:
2nd night in a row, my son catches his dinner. We're in a special regulation area, so he has to go downstream about 1/2 mile to keep anything. This is a 14" rainbow trout, obviously stocked at some point, not lot's of color to it. He caught a native brook trout near a run in the same area that was quite beautiful. We don't normally keep those unless we injure them with the hook.

6-14-22_trout.jpg

Sorry to see this Mike and didn't want to share our misfortune with you. They say the monsoon season will startup by Friday and carry through the weekend so maybe you guys will get some help from above. We have not had a drop of any type of precipitation for over 3 months now. Stay safe.

We had Lori's Aunt and her aunt's husband visiting from Tenn. over the weekend. We took them up to Flagstaff to sightsee about 10:30 in the morn. About the time we reached Flag we started seeing a pretty small plume of smoke behind the city. The wind was blowing like crazy and I said this could be bad. Within a couple of hours it had grown to over 1000 acres. We were in a candy shop when everyone's phones and watches started sounding off with evacuation warnings for the next closest town. We headed back home and by the morning it was around 5000 acres and growing. Wind warnings in effect through tomorrow.
View attachment 89535

Last edited:
I feel bad for youzes guys. Specially since we can burn as long as we watch it. Started up a fire in the yard for the girls to make smores. As long as we watch it and have water close, we can burn if it is enclosed. Have water, enclosed and watching it.

If I drink enough beer I'll have plenty of "ready" water, lol. Wind died down an hour ago or so, burn is okay, but if the wind starts back up I'll hose it down.

6-14-22_fire.jpg

We have yet another fire that started about 5 days ago in northern NM. The Midnight Fire is about 30 miles north of us and is already at 5000 acres. We have had 90+ degree weather this week and winds up to 25mph each day making fighting the fire difficult/hazardous. Praying for monsoons to start up and help with all the fires in the southwest.

1655300385059.png

It was a pretty mild winter here, but for some reason the deer devastated the neighborhood - ate up almost every evergreen shrub in site.
That's bizarre. I know we pick and choose what we plant because some will be moose food, guaranteed. Usually if it is mild you see less of them because they have what they need deeper in the forest.
They got more out of it than we did! :m
That would be hard to take.

We have a short growing season. Usually we plant on May long weekend. May 18-23rd on average. Everything above ground is done in September and we usually dig the root vegetables up in early October.

We don't get a second chance, so the fence must happen.

I'm considering the beets a warning shot.

Back