Post a photo, any photo

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

bstnh1

Reaction score
For some reason, this year I have had several cardinals at my feeder every day all winter and now well into the spring. In the past, I was lucky to see maybe one every few years for a day or two. Nothing fancy in the feeder - just the same old black oil sunflower seed I've been using for years.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
That is an awesome pic. They are a very skittish bird. I usually don't see them at my feeder till very late in the day, but never for very long. Cardinals up here in Ontario are a deeper red colour, maybe bc the cooler temps? lol.
Nice picture, Mike!

I agree with Manny that cardinals I see are a deeper red than in that picture. I just found out that they get their pigmentation from what they eat (carotenoids). So maybe their diet is sufficiently different in AZ?

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sure looks like a yellowjacket to me. Are they not common where you are? I thought they were ubiquitous.
I’ve been attacked by them before but they were a lot smaller. That’s why I was hoping this was the queen cause without her the hive will die.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
They actually grow on trees here. Best time to harvest, late winter, early spring.

View attachment 60061
Wow! Five pairs of these beautiful birds. It is our state bird here in Ohio (and six other states!) We have two pairs that nest in our Norway spruces and have been with us for a couple years. I feed them sunflower seeds and crushed corn and the will eat the songbird mix, too.

Dennis Griffith

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
We are in Ohio as well. We have several Norway spruce (at least the ones left that the deer haven't destroyed) and the birds seem to like those. We also have some Colorado Blue spruce that I'm slowly removing as they get canker. We do have an abundance of birds here, everything from turkey and smaller, so we get a daily show out the sun room windows. Did you know that turkeys like grapes??

bkisel

Reaction score
I've been trying to get a pic of this bird for a couple of weeks and he finally sat still for a minute yesterday afternoon and I "caught" him. I'm not a bird person, anyone know what he is, Cardinal maybe?
Mike
Nice composition. What camera and lens/settings did you use?

bkisel

Reaction score
Here in the Missouri Ozarks, we had our first hummer of the year yesterday. I shot this one last year.
Same post for you if I may... Nice composition. What camera and lens/settings did you use?

Latest posts