Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Havasu Falls", Havasu Canyon,

Bucket list location!

About 5 years ago, we checked a bucket-list item by hiking down to the river (and back up, obviously) at Grand Canyon NP. The down side is that this trip (along with some other SW trips, Zion, Capitol Reef, etc.), make it LESS likely for us to go back and check the many "minor," but probably just as interesting destinations. Maybe if @Kraffty gets us to move to the Verde Valley with him, I could check all those boxes! :)

EDITED TO ADD: I had not seen Jim's response when I wrote mine!!

bull_zpsf31b243a.jpg

End of an era on Sweetpea Farms and I'm a little melancholy about it. The 5/8 black Angus-3/8 Charolais bull I've used for the last 7 years took a trip to the sale barn today. Time to look for a new employee. But he left behind 3 nice heifer calves I'll raise up as mamas, plus whatever's growing in my older cows right now for fall delivery. I'll retain the heifers out of the coming crop, too. They'll be the future, along with my new bull. I've appreciated your help, old boy, and thanks for not running me down in that 8-foot barn galley while I was trying to get you to walk onto the trailer. Standing there looking eye to eye with a bull as tall as I am, I always know what happens is really totally up to the bull.

31518022_10214343961726810_4136110681859916191_n.jpg

Finished fabbing the wiring harness link for a little Frankenstein engine swap I've got going on. Electrical engineering without the degree!

Good looking bull Jim. Nice cross. We always called our bulls by the name of Book Keeper...Book Keeper I, Book Keeper II. No bull, no calves, no sales, no books to keep.

Good looking bull Jim. Nice cross. We always called our bulls by the name of Book Keeper...Book Keeper I, Book Keeper II. No bull, no calves, no sales, no books to keep.

Thanks. That was taken a couple years back. He was aged and while still technically sound, breeding was tough on him as far as his back and hips. Boy, he was a good one. I took one look at him in the pasture as a calf and told the man, "YUP." The Angus side was out of a top bull. His calves consistently brought at or very near the top of the day's market prices over the years out of commercial cows cuz that's how they like them in Kansas feedlots. Here's a couple retained progeny, almost exactly six months old. If I get these ~ 40% black Angus/60% Continental girls with the right black Angus bull in 2019, things should be great. I have a few months to look around, since I fall calve. I don't want to breed away the muscles any more than I have to, cuz as you know, we get paid by the pound! The female side of the herd lineage extends back to my father in law's herd. He's been gone awhile now. I still have one crop coming out of the old bull this fall and will retain good prospects from it, too. They're the future now.

31698829_10214368229253483_3702775341211713536_n.jpg

Here's the bull the first day he arrived.

bull004.jpg

Ouch! Appears you had a 3 car pile-up in a residential area. How does that happen? ;)

In all seriousness, glad you are OK. Cars can be replaced

Back