Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let there be snow

G0160438_zpse2046d66.jpg

Pic of my great grandfather (standing) and his brother with their still. Taken in the early 1900's. I guess making alcohol runs in the family.

10957-post-photo-any-photo-forumrunner_20131006_115437.jpg

View attachment 10957

I knew his youngest child. She was just a moonshiner's daughter, but I loved her still...... :D

Dan's picture if I'm correct is down the road from the Freeport Inn. The block there my daughter burried a dead fish she found in the sand. I'll thate that part of Erie over going to the beaches on Presque Isle anyday. I'm not one for crowds or commercialized beaches. We had so much fun along tbe beaches in Northeast Pa the last 2 years. Will definitely be renting another house next year.

Those are in the Hippodrome in Istanbul. The rocky obelisk is the "Walled Obelisk." The closer one is the Obelisk of Theodosius. Juxtaposition of old and new:

obelisks.jpg

Last edited:
Juxtaposition of old and new:
I forgot to say where that is from. Those are in the Hippodrome in Istanbul. The rocky obelisk is the "Walled Obelisk." The closer one is the Obelisk of Theodosius.

The rocky-looking obelisk is actually the newer of the two. Its exact date of construction is not known, but it was probably built in that spot in the 4th or 5th century. It was repaired in the 10th century by Constantine VII.

The Obelisk of Theodosius (the one with the carvings on it) is much older. It was carved deep in Egypt (at Luxor) in ~1450 BC. After resting there for about 1800 years, it was moved by Constantius II some 500 miles to Alexandria, on the Mediterranean coast. It only stayed there for about 33 years, before Theodosius I had it moved to the capital city of Constantinople (now Istanbul, of course) in 390 AD. (Unfortunately, the move cost the obelisk about 40% of its height.)

The juxtaposition of old and new I was referring to was the man with the cell phone, walking beneath this 3500 year old obelisk, but I suppose it could refer to the "old" obelisk and the "new" obelisk. ;)

Henry & Belinda

Very nice photos, everyone!

This picture was given to me by a remote family member. I would like you to meet my Great Grandfather's Grandparents (on my mother's side) , Henry W. Elicker [1825-1901] and Belinda (Snyder) Elicker [1834-1910]. The picture was taken in Troy, Ohio in 1899.

The photo was very scratched up and stained with water marks. I have spent the past several weeks (a few hours at a time) cleaning it up with the GIMP Heal Tool. I've got cramps in my mouse clicker!

Happy-looking old folks, ain't they!

HenryElicker.png

Dave, if that's not the salt of the earth, I don't know what is.

great pic dave, can you imagine wearing that much clothes in texas when its 99 and 99 percent humidity....and you have to remember,,,baths at most were once a week back then......amazing how far we have came since then....

Latest posts

Back