Pear Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the carboys have a lot of headspace--you should top them up using sanitized marbles.

Hey Dan, I know you like to filter, but did your pear clear just by the bentonite or did you filter too??? Looks great.

Ok.... So I am thinking of racking the pear in a couple if days, do I need to add anything to it at that time?

I just sat in front of it and the air lock is still bubbling.... I think I will just leave it!

Thanks. Yes I am getting some fine lees. Manley, how soon was it before yours was ready to drink? I have another 25 pounds or so in the freezer cored and sliced to put through the steam juicer for additional flavor. My thoughts are to figure out exactly how much sugar I'll need for back sweetening. Since the juice will be so hot at that point it would be the ideal time to add sugar that I'll need for the entire batch.

I just juiced some fruit this morning to add to 2 gal I did yesterday. Based on the brix of the juice coming out of the steam juicer and the expected volume I added sugar to the collection pot to get my final sg. Worked out well. Thanks

RR

My dad has pick another 75 pounds of pears! He saw my wine and now wants to do his own!!! Haha guess what I am doing on Thursday.... Juicing pears:) and he's excited! Haha round 2 here we go!!!

image-3430955183.jpg

Here we have the grapes that showed up on my door step! Racked today into the secondary and the Pear in the middle.... First rack today added potassium metabisulphite and back into the secondary... Had to add a **** load of marbles to get it up to the neck! And now we wait:) thought I would share a pic! Beautiful colours!!!

Thanks runningwolf:) I feel pretty proud of my babies:) lots of hard work and reading and the help you you guys have made this happen!!! Can't thank you enough:)

My 2013 Pear wine turned out excellent. Everyone really enjoyed it. I did six gallons using 36 lbs. of Bartlett pears for a yield of 30 bottles. If I had to do it over again I'd use even more pears. The results using the ICV-D47 yeast were mighty good. My wine cleared on its own especially after a winter in the basement so it had a nice long cold crash. Cheers to the Pear winemakers!

I envy you, Dan. The pear I made last year is some of the best wine I have ever had. It was great shortly after post ferment, thought it went south a month or two later. Left it alone and it came back to great. Time to bottle it, but it is really really good. Arne.

Would you care to share your Pear Wine Recipe?

Burgar

Would you care to share your Pear Wine Recipe?

Burgar

Sure. Don't have all my notes, but all I did was shred the pears and put them in the apple press. Used pure juice and fermented it down. Don't have my notes handy, but k-metaed it, brought the s.g. up to 1.090 or so, nutrient, energizer, tannin and check the acid. I'll try and find my notes, if I did anything different will repost, but that should cover it. Arne.

Back