Pear Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manley---if you hit that peach with some bentonite in the secondary, it will probably clear for you. Peach can suffer from protein haze, which is probably some of the cause of the cloudiness. Bentonite is very good at attacking protein haze. We've used it in the secondary, in the past, with great success. If it's not clear in 13 months, then it's time for intervention.

Manley---if you hit that peach with some bentonite in the secondary, it will probably clear for you. Peach can suffer from protein haze, which is probably some of the cause of the cloudiness. Bentonite is very good at attacking protein haze. We've used it in the secondary, in the past, with great success. If it's not clear in 13 months, then it's time for intervention.

On my list of To-Do's..
Unfortunately it's somewhere down the list sandwiched between balancing sweetness-acidity on ~21 gallons and getting it bottled, & MLF'ing ~13 gallons of various Blackberry-based wines, which you'd probably smack me on the back of the head for, but... I'm good at ducking

Then there's the Apple-Pear Bochet, that I'll be putting together shortly; whenever the pears soften up.

Dan the pear looks so clear at such a young age. Yes, I realize more sediment will fall out.....

In 2012, we did not use bentonite in primary for PEACH but used it later when it would not clear.
Now for the 2013 batch we used bentonite on the 3rd day in primary. The 3rd racking was 6 weeks ago and nothing has changed, still very cloudy. It is in the cellar at 62 degrees. Any suggestions for us?

Last edited:
I am going to start some pear wine on Sunday with canned pears. I hope all goes well. All your pear wine on here looks great.

It's amazing how much sediment has falling in 24 hours! Thank you runningwolf:) looks like I will be racking this in a few days!

Sammy---Don't expect the kind of clearing result ALL THE TIME that Dan got. Most of the time, it's going to take a little time to see results. Did you use the bentonite on the 3rd day of the FERMENT? If you used it earlier than that. you can inactivate the pectic enzyme and that could give you some clearing problems. Did you use enough bentonite? What was the dose? Has it cleared at all?

On my list of To-Do's..
Unfortunately it's somewhere down the list sandwiched between balancing sweetness-acidity on ~21 gallons and getting it bottled, & MLF'ing ~13 gallons of various Blackberry-based wines, which you'd probably smack me on the back of the head for, but... I'm good at ducking

Then there's the Apple-Pear Bochet, that I'll be putting together shortly; whenever the pears soften up.

LOL. Well, I'm only here to help---there will be no smacking!!!

Turock

I did use pectic enzyme up front and bentonite on the 3rd day per instructions. I am not in a hurry but because I age for months but I would at least get it to clear. How much pectic enzyme per gallon, I will try that again. It did throw a ton of lees on second racking quite a few inches in each gallon so I racked again about 6 weeks later. There is only a small amount in the bottom of each gallon carboy now.

On a pulpy fruit like peach, it's a good idea to use 1 tsp of pectic enzyme per gallon. In fact, you could throw some into the carboy now--sometimes that helps. Another little trick that often works---get it under refrigeration if it refuses to clear. And of course, you could try some Super Kleer. But I don't like that stuff on a white style wine--it gives a more golden color to the wine. Once in a while, we have very slow clearing on some bentonited wines. Some fruits might need a little more bentonite--2 Tbs per 5 gallons instead of 1 Tbs. I wouldn't go over the 2 Tbs however because too much can strip flavor.

In the future---there are better pectinases on the market now. The one we've used--and like--is Lallzyme C-Max. It is very good on viscous musts. It would be better to use on big, pulpy fruits like peach.pear,plum, and apple than regular pectic enzyme. It's designed for rapid de-pectinization and aids in clearing. We used it in the past---and are beginning to use it again because it just seems to work better.

image-1540194262.jpg

This is what I bottled yesterday:) 60 bottles down ready for thanksgiving weekend here in Canada!!!

Looking at them from the closet forward on the right side is.... Blueberry, blackberry, pink plum, blackberry, semillon Chardonnay, and a Amarone:)

I guess it would be the blackberry, pink plum. The carboys look like they are not clear plastic, is that so? If so what brand are they

Last edited:
I just racked my pear wine, i got about 10 gallons, i plan to rack and bentonite tonight.. i will post pics n a few days...

On the left side row I have a Liebfraumilch, Chardonnay (infused with hemp) Pear and a Barolo

Latest posts

Back