Pear Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Manley, I was hoping you would join back in. Theres a lot of great information in this thread for future use if any members decide to make this wine down the road. I was reviewing it to see what I did two years ago to figure out what I am going to do this year.

I was just out pricing pears today, found Bartletts for 99 cents / pound... C'mon payday!

Usually I do an Apple-Pear blend every year.
Last year was my first with honey; I made an Apple-Pear Bochet (boiled/burnt/caramelized honey)
So I haven't done the regular honey with each fruit individually, I'm excited to see the outcomes.

Trying to figure out which yeast to go with.. W15 for the Apple, but the Pear...?
Hmm..

RW, some pics and specs would be great, trying to get ours done, waiting for a bushing to adapt Euro shaft to American pulleys. WVMJ

Two years ago the pear tree got hit with lightening and nothing grew last summer got a few little spotted ones but that's it! This year it came back with a vengeance! Can't keep up with them! Still spotted but big and tasty this year! Been busy cutting out spots and coring them your lucky Dan to have that press and shredder I'm envious!

image.jpg

I cored and cut up 14 one gallon zip lock bags full yesterday, by hand. I definitely need another method.

Don't you guys/gals have places where you can rent a crusher and press like here? That's what we do with cider each year now, and it's awesome! (and you don't have to store the equipment!)

Don't you guys/gals have places where you can rent a crusher and press like here? That's what we do with cider each year now, and it's awesome! (and you don't have to store the equipment!)

Ray, we offer a crusher/destemmer and bladder press for free if you buy your grapes from us. There are not very many places that rent them out due to the condition they're brought back in. We will rent ours out but you have to bring your grapes to us. The equipment can't leave the premises.

As far as apples go, I can buy fresh pressed cider at wholesale price if I get over 20 gallons. The professionals already made the blend and filtered the juice. It doesn't make sense for me to buy apples and guess at the right mix.

Now Grapeman on the other hand...his last handle was Appleman. He replaced his orchards for vineyards.

I am old school by necessity. I am going to freeze, then thaw and crush with a 4x4 and ferment the pulp.

Yep that's what I do! Although Can't go grocery shopping for meat that needs to be frozen good thing it's summer, mostly cold cuts for these hot days! Ray I will have to look into that!

Putting my pear recipe together and curious how many lbs of pears do you guys use per gal?

Putting my pear recipe together and curious how many lbs of pears do you guys use per gal?

Pears are really light in flavor, so I always use straight pear juice, ferment, then back sweeten with freeze concentrated pear juice. I absolutely love pear wine, but like apple it takes a little kicking up, so use absolutely no water. Dale.

Pears are really light in flavor, so I always use straight pear juice, ferment, then back sweeten with freeze concentrated pear juice. I absolutely love pear wine, but like apple it takes a little kicking up, so use absolutely no water. Dale.

I Know it took me 2+ years to make my last batch of 3 gal because of adding water. I fixed the flavor after it was stable by adding jars and more jars of canned pears I had put up in the pantry, simmered down plus a gal of apple juice That's why I was curious to know how many lbs per gal you all use btw the pear wine was GREAT after all the additions. Thinking about just using all the pears and apples I have in the freezer there's at least 100 lbs in there I have only a few pears left on the tree

Hey Runningwolf how many lbs of pears do you use for your pear wine? I used 56 lbs of pear and to add the needed acidity I also added29lbs of apples and have 5 lbs of pear for f pack froze them all

Latest posts

Back