Pears

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
My pears started releasing from the tree yesterday and Saturday we were taking off for the week. I went ahead and picked the remaining pears that did not release and I have stuck them in brown paper bags and placed them in the basement. I’m hoping it will be at least 7 days before they start ripening until I get back.

What have been experience with how long it takes to ripen when they release from the tree?

My pears started releasing from the tree yesterday and Saturday we were taking off for the week. I went ahead and picked the remaining pears that did not release and I have stuck them in brown paper bags and placed them in the basement. I’m hoping it will be at least 7 days before they start ripening until I get back.

What have been experience with how long it takes to ripen when they release from the tree?
When you say release, Are you picking them off the ground or just when they let go without a fight?

When you say release, Are you picking them off the ground or just when they let go without a fight?
Yes, when I mean release is when you left the pear at 90degree angle and it releases from the tree. Some I had to pick “pull” away because they would have released while I was gone.

I read maybe place in the refrigerator may keep them better. So I’ll stick them in there in the morning while I’m gone.

My bosc pears are hard as rocks so I have time there.
My Bartlett and d'anjou started releasing earlier in the week. Going by last year I thought I'd have at least a week. Nope. Didn't have time to open space in the freezer so 30 lbs into the crusher, yeast tomorrow. Speaking of tomorrow, another 30 lbs into the crusher.

I had them outside on a covered porch.

I'm not positive but I think the fridge might stop them from ripening. Either way, good luck!!!

My bosc pears are hard as rocks so I have time there.
My Bartlett and d'anjou started releasing earlier in the week. Going by last year I thought I'd have at least a week. Nope. Didn't have time to open space in the freezer so 30 lbs into the crusher, yeast tomorrow. Speaking of tomorrow, another 30 lbs into the crusher.

I had them outside on a covered porch.

I'm not positive but I think the fridge might stop them from ripening. Either way, good luck!!!
Same here. I thought I would have another week or two. They started releasing this week. Mine are Seckel pears and usually super sweet. I hope to slow the ripen for a week while away.

I am planning on freezing whole then pressing. Not sure if that is a good plan or will work but the harvest is small this year because a few overloaded branches broke!

The fridge will slow down the ripening.

We core our pears before freezing. Bartletts, when fully ripe, are very soft. So we cut them in half and scoop out the core with a spoon. Very fast and easy.

Last year I started adding some acid blend before freezing. I need to estimate the amount I will eventually need for the recipe, and add a little less than that.

The fridge will slow down the ripening.

We core our pears before freezing. Bartletts, when fully ripe, are very soft. So we cut them in half and scoop out the core with a spoon. Very fast and easy.

Last year I started adding some acid blend before freezing. I need to estimate the amount I will eventually need for the recipe, and add a little less than that.
Last Time I added lemon juice about a tablespoon to the bowl I was throwing the cut pieces in. That seem to keep from browning and added a little acid. Then we froze the bags.

FWIW, I have a 3 gallon batch started. (And I may have 3 more...too many pears.) Doing about 9 lbs per gallon. About 25% released from the tree but weren't soft-ripe...still had that crisp tartness. That tartness REALLY makes the pear flavor of the must pop, it is so good. First time I'm trying this. Hope the flavor carries through to the end

Latest posts

Back