Peach Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waldo said:
I tend to use more fruit than most on most all of my wines travisty. It is my personal preference to have a very fruit forward end product.

Cool, then I will plan on sticking with the Jack Keller recipe to see how I like that. Then I can adjust later based on my preferences as well. Thanks Waldo!

Being new to the winemaking I am VERY excited about experimenting with different fruits and peach was my next project. I hope to get some fruit tomorrow and start a batch this weekend. I love the idea of adding banannas for body. So I want to ask how many should I add for a 5 gallon batch? And any good recipes are welcome!
smiley10.gif

I would probably go with 6 1/2 ripe bananas, about 20 lbs. of ripe destoned peaches. About 13 lbs of sugar, pectic enzyme as per instructions on container as some vary depending on which kind you use but you surely want to use it. 5 tsp of yeast nutrient, 2.5 tsp of yeast energizer. You will also want about 5 tsp of acid blend. Acid blend and sugar are just estimates and should be checked with acid test and hydrometer. You will need about 4 gallons of water to bring this up a little over a gallon batch so that when you rack later you will end up with 5 gallons and not have to worry about what to top up with. When making fruit wines we like to go over the amount we are shooting for finished so you will need a 1 gallon jug and #6 bung with airlock to hold extra until racking the wine from carboy off lees.

Wade (or anyone else) - your comments about putting in some extra for topping off prompt me to write with an idea I have been considering - that is to start withbetween 5 and 6 gallons in the primary fermenter as you suggest - then rack into a 6 gallon carboy for secondary fermentation. I figure that even if the carboy is not full, the CO2 being released might protect the wine - then, the next racking could go to a 5 gallon carboy - it seems that there would be no need to top off doing this - just wondering what you would think of this plan?
Thanks!

With fruit wines, that is a perfectly reasonable solution Wayne. You could also use a 6.5 gallon carboy and finish up in a 6 if you had those also. Work with what you have and just adjust the numbers accordingly.

Wayne, perfect! And if you still have some left over after racking to 5
gallon carboy put the rest in a size that will fit it as full as you
can and use that for topping off after racking off lees again say after
adding fining agents and letting it bulk age. Like what I have here in
all assorted size bottles.
20080904_191041_Wine_Room_Now.jpg

WADE LOOKS LIKE YOU GOT YOUR WORK CUT OUT FOR YOU,ALL THECALIFORNIANS ARE IN TIME TO GO TO WORK,GOING INTO THE VENDEMMIA CONTEST ON THE 26TH GOING TO ENTER MY NIAGARA ,RASPBERRY AND BAROLO,IT JUST TURNED 5YRS. YOUNG,THINK MY ITALIAN BUDDIES MIGHT LIKE IT ,OH WELL.....I,LL GIVE IT A TRY THIS IS A VERY HARD NUT TO GET INTO YET ALONE PLACE...................

Thats an older pic joe. Just trying to show some of the newer wine makers that various size bottles and carboys are a necessity when making fruit wines. I only have 20 gallons going at the minute but a pretty darn good order with George awaiting shipment as soon as the limited editions come in. Hoping any day now.

great - thanks as always for sharing your all's experience!

I am ready to start my batch of peach wine...well almost ready so in the meantime can I cut up and freeze the peaches until I am absolutely ready to put on? And can I use ripe bananas that have been frozen? I keep those on hand to make banana bread so I was just checking.

If you are going to cut them up before freezing then I would user ascorbic acid on them to prevent them from browning. You can use the bananas and lots of people do.

Racked my Peach wine this morning and back sweetened it. It has cleared nicely but still has a bit to go before bottling. After back sweening the nose of this wine was very peachy and a tad spicyas was the taste. A bit tart yet but that will diminish with about 4-6 months aging

pachwine2.jpg

peachandmuscadine.jpg

The two gallon of Muscadine was also racked this morning and is still fermenting. These are a sort of experimental thing in that I started them with 1 lb fruit more than I typically use as well as a higher beginning SG which was 1.160.
My plan is to finish pretty sweet with an intense Muscadine flavor and then use these to back sweeten/top upmy two6 gallon batches I will be beginning here soon.

muscadine.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

Looks and sounds great there buddy.I have done that 2 times now with the higher abv and more fruit and it worked well for me and even died off right where ai wanted it to. I like my fruit wines a little sweet and like the natural fruit flavor to come through a little more rather then sweetening up later so Im going to krrp trying this unless it starts giving me a problem.

I hear ya wade..the key for me has been finding that point where any more fruit at the beginning is not good. I have pretty much found that if you stay within 2 lbs or less more than what the recipe specifies you will be ok.

like isaid guys very, fruit forward,a fruit wine must taste first as the fruit it was intended to be and then the wine influence somewhere in the middle finishing with the fruit again,thats a good fruit wine with out any tricks,just fruit,sugar,water only if needed and yeast.assuming all the nutrients are there, time and attention.

Worked on a label this morning for this wine. Not quite satisfied this will be the one yet but will use it barring no other inspiration comes to me.

bloodpeach.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

Nice Waldo.........

I do like your designs.... What software are you using to make your labels?

A combination of Adobe and Print Shop 22 gaudet.

Well, that didn't take long. I went and put on a pot of coffee...and got inspired....Here is the label I will use.

peachwinelabel.jpg

Latest posts

Back